Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Starter motor start but no spark

Can someone please help me with my 2003 Polaris Virage i. I take her out every 2 weeks to make sure it works correctly and battery is charged. I took her out on sunday and works fine.
    I try to take her out yesterday and it wouldn't start. I notice that the battery is low. So, I charged the battery over night. Now I hear the starter moter turning but there is no spark so cylinders are not moving. I only hear start motor spining.
    I have replaced with new battery and spark plugs and having the same problem.

Please help!!!

Search for info on the starter Bendix

I see some broken pieces inside starter housing

I remove the solenoid on top of the starter housing. I was able to see small part of flywheel. I was able to remove some broken pieces of metal using telescoping magnetic pick-up tool.
    Not sure what it means. Please help!!!

the solenoid isn't on top of the starter what did u remove? can u post a pic?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jitan2004 View Post
    ...2003 Polaris Virage i
    ...it wouldn't start. I notice that the battery is low. So, I charged the battery over night.

Now I hear the starter motor turning but there is no spark so cylinders are not moving. I only hear start motor spinning.

I have replaced with new battery and spark plugs and having the same problem.
    My guess is you removed the CPS sensor (part 19 in the second picture) that fits into a hole in the top of the flywheel housing.

If you found loose metal pieces inside there, then something has failed, and you need to open up the flywheel cover, and probably also remove the flywheel.

The loose metal pieces might be bits of the magnets that are supposed to stay bonded to the flywheel, or pieces of the flywheel or Bendix gear assembly.

In any case, I think you need to get inside there and see what has failed.

The 2002 Polaris Service Manual covers the basics for removing the flywheel. I don't think the engine needs to be removed, you should have enough room to work on the front of the engine in the hull.

You will need a proper flywheel puller tool, and an impact wrench makes the job easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8104%5C8104C02.gif 
Views:	52 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	90261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8104%5C8104C07.gif 
Views:	84 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	90262  

First, I like to thank you guys for your time and replies. I am very new to this and don't know what I am doing. I don't even know the name of the parts but the service manual is helping very much. Thank you for the link to service manual.

Yes, I did removed the CPS sensor base on part 19 on the second picture.

I took out the flywheel cover and found some bits of the magnets attached to bendix gear assembly which is position next to flywheel bottom right. Is that correct?

I tried to take the flywheel out but did not have proper flywheel puller tool and couldn't take it out.

Yes, I did have enough room to take out the flywheel. Where can I buy or rent the tool to take the flywheel out? Does anyone sell the tools on ebay?

Should I get the flywheel if I find out the magnets that stay bonded to the flywheel is broken? Where can I order the part? I did try the local dealer but they are 5 times more expensive then online. The dealer try to sell me the bendix for $247. I can buy the bendix online for about $50-60. R they different? Should I buy the parts from dealer?

I think that is the problem base on pieces of magnets I found when I open up the flywheel cover. I also try to feel the bendix gear and seems to be ok.

I assume bendix will comeout once I remove the flywheel?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jitan2004 View Post
    ...I took out the flywheel cover and found some bits of the magnets attached to bendix gear assembly which is position next to flywheel bottom right. Is that correct?
    Yes, that is the Bendix gear assembly.

I tried to take the flywheel out but did not have proper flywheel puller tool and couldn't take it out.
    You can buy a flywheel puller tool fairly inexpensively. Don't buy the absolute cheapest tool, as it takes soem real force to get that flywheel to come loose, and cheap pullers just get bent out of shape.
    The Harbor Freight puller is $13, and might do the job. Better pullers cost more, but are worth it

Should I get the flywheel if I find out the magnets that stay bonded to the flywheel is broken? Where can I order the part?
    Have a look at the guys on here who sell parts from used Polaris, including John Zigler.

...I assume Bendix will come out once I remove the flywheel?...
    The Bendix is removable once the flywheel is off.
    Keep in mind that those loose metal or magnet pieces may have damaged the electrical stator, which fits closely inside the flywheel. Hopefully not, but you need to check everything carefully once you get that flywheel off.

You may need to unbolt the stator to check for bits of magnet in or under the stator coils. You must get all the loose bits out of there.

You can use the Polaris part number cross reference web site to check what other Polaris models used the same flywheel part number.
    In your case, it looks like the flywheel part# 4010168 was used in every Polaris 2-stroke fuel injected engine except the MSX 140, from 1999-2004. I am sure somebody has a used flywheel available.

I think that Polaris did improve the flywheel design in later years (apparently without changing the part number), so a flywheel from a newer model year might be a bit better.

When using the puller, be careful to not thread the three bolts too far through the flywheel. You do not want those bolts to touch the stator coils, which are right behind the flywheel. About 4 full turns into the flywheel should do it.

Have a look at other threads on here talking about removing the flywheel. An impact wrench can be very helpful. Be careful - when the flywheel lets go, it can really go flying. Be prepared. Put some padding around it, so it doesn't damage the fuel tank or other stuff.
    Last edited by K447; 08-24-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Use a good quality puller.

+1
    If you have a stubborn flywheel you'll get nowhere with the puller from harbor Freight, spend the extra few bucks and get a GREAT puller like this one from Watcon. The last thing you want to do is get in there working like a dog and have the puller bend, bolts break and get frustratied leading you to bring out hammers and heat.
    After probably 100 combined Fuji and Domestic flywheel removals I have not ONCE needed to use heat or a hammer for removal (both methods should be avoided at all costs).
    Make sure the puller sits even to the flywheel, get a proper fitting wrench and a pipe (or second wrench) if needed for leverage.
    Wait for the POP.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 08-24-2008 at 10:13 AM.

I was able to remove the flywheel and found that magnets inside the flywheel is damaged. Some of the gear from bendix is also damaged. Stator seems ok but how do I check if the stator is good?

Do I need any special tools to put the flywheel back in place?

Thanks
    Last edited by jitan2004; 08-25-2008 at 10:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information