Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ski Mirror

Ski Mirror

I need ideas for a tastful ski mirror for my XLT750. I'd like to be able to legally pull a skier without a rider to spot.

by law you need a spotter.......................red flag when in the water. thats whats needed here in California. Legally what you're trying to do is illegal.

But at truck stops.............you'll be able to find exactly what you're looking for............................................... ........................................

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Texas has relaxed laws If I remember right,Just get a set of mirrors of a SLT.They should be cheap and look good,I just sold a set for 25.00. Check your laws.

No offense meant to you la90043 but just about every day I find another reason I'm thankful I don't live in Kalifornia, today I add another.

I've checked the laws and that's why I posed the question, factory mirrors (my ski is equipped) do not meet the requirements.

In Texas we are required to have a spotter or a mirror a minimum of 4"X4".

"Every vessel towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must have:
      • An observer, other than the vessel operator, 13 years of age or older or …
      • A rearview mirror. The size of the mirror must be no less than four inches in size from bottom to top and across from side to side. It should be mounted firmly to give the vessel operator a full, complete view beyond the rear of the vessel at all times. Note: Most PWC mirrors do not meet these size standards."
      http://www.boat-ed.com/tx/course/p4-12_reqspectopwc.htm#TowingSkierSection
    I was hoping some company might manufacture a product for the purpose. I'd hate to get killed by some truck mirror if I were to flip this puppy.

Thanks

LOL....................You liked the idea of the truck stop huh.................! It popped into my mind right away.....................I'm a natural in problem solving...........................

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSilhouette View Post
    No offense meant to you la90043 but just about every day I find another reason I'm thankful I don't live in Kalifornia, today I add another.

I've checked the laws and that's why I posed the question, factory mirrors (my ski is equipped) do not meet the requirements.

In Texas we are required to have a spotter or a mirror a minimum of 4"X4".

"Every vessel towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must have:
      • An observer, other than the vessel operator, 13 years of age or older or Ö
      • A rearview mirror. The size of the mirror must be no less than four inches in size from bottom to top and across from side to side. It should be mounted firmly to give the vessel operator a full, complete view beyond the rear of the vessel at all times. Note: Most PWC mirrors do not meet these size standards."
      http://www.boat-ed.com/tx/course/p4-12_reqspectopwc.htm#TowingSkierSection
    I was hoping some company might manufacture a product for the purpose. I'd hate to get killed by some truck mirror if I were to flip this puppy.

Thanks

I can envision a mirror from an 18-Wheeler hanging off the ski. No telling where it would end up if I flipped the ski.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    4" x 4" is a bastard size. looks like they are looking for the normal 120 degree ski mirror for a boat,can't figure how to mount it that would work.Except to put it off to the side so you have 4" wide amd 12" tall.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    4" x 4" is a bastard size. looks like they are looking for the normal 120 degree ski mirror for a boat,can't figure how to mount it that would work.Except to put it off to the side so you have 4" wide amd 12" tall.
    4X4 is the minimum size. The mounting is the challenge, having it be tasteful, functional and safe. I can spot a skier just fine with the factory mirrors but sadly they do not meet the stated requirements. May go looking for a towing mirror that can be modified if I canít find a product better suited to the task. I figured this would be a challenge somebody on this forum would have already met, does nobody pull skiers/tubers?

[quote=RX951;777752]Mirror search on ebay
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37.l1313&satitle=pwc+ mirror&category0= [/quote]

I looked through eBay, looked again using the search you provided but unless I am missing something, I donít see a mirror that meets the 4X4 dimension requirement. Did you see one I am missing or just pasting links to eBay?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Can you find a large enough stick on mirror, possibly convex, that you could stick right over the factory mirror?

It would extend beyond the factory casing by an inch or so, top and bottom, but might not look too bad.

Use strong double sided foam adhesive.

When it comes time to remove it, slide a thin cutting wire behind the mirror, work it across the foam. Use WD-40 to remove the remaining adhesive, and you are back to factory stock look.
    Last edited by K447; 08-24-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information