tweek old 2 stroke or buy newer ski to mod?

I have a 99 kawasaki ultra 150 that I am about to start modding. I have triple pipes, ecu & buckshot 50's to go on the ski which should get me to the 77-78 mph mark. I have never been on a newer 4 stroke ski (only been in the hobby for a year now) & I was thinking that maybe I would be better off selling my old ski & the go fast stuff that hasn't been installed yet in favor of something newer. I see from one of the threads that some of you swap superchargers for turbo's which I am sure would easily get these ski's over 80.

Do the newer sea-doo's handle a lot better in all conditions? I cannot decide what to do... the newer PWC's seem huge in comparison to mine & I am concerned that the added weight would take some of the fun away. It does seem like it's a LOT easier to get lots of power out of the newer ski's but I am also concerned about acceleration, handling, jumping waves & also how much gas it sucks down.

thanks for any input

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
    I have a 99 kawasaki ultra 150 that I am about to start modding. I have triple pipes, ecu & buckshot 50's to go on the ski which should get me to the 77-78 mph mark. I have never been on a newer 4 stroke ski (only been in the hobby for a year now) & I was thinking that maybe I would be better off selling my old ski & the go fast stuff that hasn't been installed yet in favor of something newer. I see from one of the threads that some of you swap superchargers for turbo's which I am sure would easily get these ski's over 80.

Do the newer sea-doo's handle a lot better in all conditions? I cannot decide what to do... the newer PWC's seem huge in comparison to mine & I am concerned that the added weight would take some of the fun away. It does seem like it's a LOT easier to get lots of power out of the newer ski's but I am also concerned about acceleration, handling, jumping waves & also how much gas it sucks down.

thanks for any input
    Well with the 3 seaters you no longer get beat to death in large chop. If you like to spin and jump the ski you lose most of that with the bigger skis(but you can make them carve, man my GTX sticks to the water with some skegs). I have both an old school 2 smoke and a 4 stroke and they are fun in different ways

Clear as mud?

+1
    Mate i did the same thing your about to do. I had a Seadoo XPL 951 and i went to town on it and did twin pipes, ECU, Setback pump. The whole package really and it ended up costing a shit load of money.

I was thinking about modding my XPL that i had or just buy an RXP. I wanted something that was light and fast and i thought the XPL was going to do if not better what the RXP could do.

But a shit load of money later i was going fast with the 2 stroke but it came at a price and reliability was down hill which then impacted on the fun factor of the ski.

Long story short i cut my losses on the 2 stroke and went out a bought a RXP and havent looked back. These new 4 strokes have so much power and reliable as. You can mod them to hell and they are still reliable as. Yeah they are a bit bigger than ya 2 strokes but they still have the mad fun factor due to the massive power these things have.

If i was in your situation i would trade it in for a new four stroke and start modding. You wont look back.

+1
    From what I have read about the old Ultras
    I'm not sure I would want to be on one at 78 mph...

Thread Information