Driveline vibration, loss of thrust

Hey all, I'm new to the site. I've read through all 37 pages looking for a solution to my problem but found nothing.

1996 Kawasaki ZXI1100, new stock motor with about 25hrs on it.

Every now and then during my last ride I would start out from an idle and get a heavy vibration and no thrust like the driveshaft had lost connection to the prop. I could let off the throttle and ease on the gas again and it would accellerate normal. This happened about 3 times during the day. I pulled the pump to replace the prop (Solas KG-SC-X) and pump bearings but there was no problem there that I could find. I merely replaced the bearings since it was cheap and I had it apart anyway. I've reached in the engine compartment and pulled on the drive shaft to check for play and everything seems tight. There's no end-play or rotational free-play that I can feel.

I'm thinking it's the coupler damper but it only does it erratically. I can goose the throttle all I want and not make it happen. It only happens from an idle. Any ideas?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    Old Hickory,Tn
    Welcome to the Forum..........

Did you check the clearance between the prop and the pump?

And what kind of shape is the prop in?

The prop is new and the clearance is fine. I pulled it again after a ride yesterday and there are no marks where the prop would hit. Everything in the pump area is new. I guess I'll have to pull the shaft and inspect the coupler rubber and couplers.

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
    Sounds like the coupler is slipping, or you have torn up your splines so the shaft is slipping. Do you have a rubber coupler on that model?? (I dont know)

Most torque is from 0-10MPH as the ski is fighting to move the mass forward. This is where you will see the slipping first.

It has a rubber coupler. The primary driveshaft has splines that enter the impeller but they are fine. The only area left would be the drive coupler. I ordered a new damper for the coupler.

Southeast Ohio
    Welcome to the Green Hulk!!

if it is a damper (octopus looking thing between the couplers) that would just rattle not slip

I figured that too but there's nothing else at this point beyond, and I hope not, the coupler splines themselves. As I said, I cant feel any free-play whatsoever when pulling on the shaft by hand.

I have to find the time to rip it down and visually inspect all the drive line components.

I have a 750SS that has developed the same issue. I think it is sucking air on full throttle and causing cavitation. If I feather the throttle, I can get up to speed but nothing a low end. Found I had dropped my intake grate and was not hooking up at all.

I have a Worx intake grate that I put on a couple weeks ago. It made a huge difference at higher speeds on choppy water.

I tore it down. The drive couplers screw onto the driveshaft and crank, no problems there. The damper was perfect too.

I put it all back together and took it out on the lake yesterday. It didnt vibrate or loose thrust at all. Soooo, I dunno.

Thread Information