Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pro-Tec Turbo Exhaust Tube

How many of you guys (girls?) have these? I don't see much talk about them and rarely on the trading sections.

From what i have gathered, its no performance boost over the OEM exhaust and most people just go tripples. But if you're out smashing through the surf, is this a better option than the OEM?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
    How many of you guys (girls?) have these? I don't see much talk about them and rarely on the trading sections.

From what i have gathered, its no performance boost over the OEM exhaust and most people just go tripples. But if you're out smashing through the surf, is this a better option than the OEM?

The only benefit i see of having one of these on a surf boat is the improved holeshot/acceleration gain. But most people say it's not worth the loss of top-end.

I was more thinking from the weight side of things. I broke my back exhaust mount the other day, and whilst it is probably just something that has happened over time it still got me wondering about other lighter exhaust options.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
    I was more thinking from the weight side of things. I broke my back exhaust mount the other day, and whilst it is probably just something that has happened over time it still got me wondering about other lighter exhaust options.

Two things to answer here. (one) the turbo tube and Riva S3 stinger both did a great job on hole shot and midrange acceleration. unfortunately both fell short on top end rpm's. This turned the high speed crew off. now if wave jumping is your prefference than this is a good alternative for you. it also make easier acces to your carbs and hull.

(Two) broken pipe mount. this occurs when stresses are added to the pipe usually from improper alignment of the pipe. personaly I have never broke a mount. I loosen all mount bolts and get the pipe set then snug everything up in place before final tighten. I do this once and everything is properly aligned. after that I just remove the necessary bolts when pulling and replacing the pipe.
    Last edited by OsideBill; 08-24-2008 at 12:45 AM.

+1
    I think the turbotube was a big bust, but I don't have any experience with it. I've owned 2 boats with Stingers on them; they are great for holeshot, midrange, and easy carb access. You will lose 1/2 to 1 mph with a Stinger. If you are willing to give up a bit of speed, the Stinger will work work great for wave jumping.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I think the turbotube was a big bust, but I don't have any experience with it. I've owned 2 boats with Stingers on them; they are great for holeshot, midrange, and easy carb access. You will lose 1/2 to 1 mph with a Stinger. If you are willing to give up a bit of speed, the Stinger will work work great for wave jumping.
    The Jetworks mod make all them pipes obsolete IMO.

Jetworks mod and the stock pipe is the best of both worlds.

+1
    I've gotta admit, the Jetworks mod is the single best thing you can do for the holeshot; if you are gonna use your ski for wave jumping, it's a must have. I'm glad people came up with it; back in 2000, my mechanic and I figured out what was making the holeshot sluggish, but we weren't motivated enough to invent a solution.

However, the Crayola doesn't have the mod, believe it or not; pure power just blows the water right out of the waterbox. I'm probably gonna go ahead and install the mod this winter, though.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    The Jetworks mod make all them pipes obsolete IMO.

Jetworks mod and the stock pipe is the best of both worlds.
    +1

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Okay, so in my case (GP760) I guess I am sticking with the factory exhaust. BUT, when you buy these "wake up kits", why do they give you a jet kit? I would imagine it is because the exhaust pipe they give you leans out the mixture?

I would imagine I could put a high compression head on, and use the factory exhaust.

I have the turbo tube on my 01 1200r and i like the low and mid range punch but, i top end has dropped 1 mph. The loss in weight and carb access is nice but, i want my top end back. Anyone have a stock setup with d-plate and temp chip installed they want to sell/trade??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information