Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

how do i properly align my 1200?

Well rebuild is done. I have about 5 hours on it. However, while riding, in the lower rpm range (1/4 throttle) it seems to vibrate alot. When I lift the seat I can see the coupler rotating in a way that would cause vibration. I already know my coupler is pretty much shot...however, I'm pretty sure that the drive shaft and engine are not alligned properly, how can I confirm / align it properly?

Also, while going over a wave in the lower rpm range, there seems to be a bit of clanking while hitting the water, is this likely related to the vibration problem?

You must remove the pump and check it with an alignment tool. Beerdart can rent you one. Not at all hard to do and worth the effort. As far as vibe at low rpms- these are two strokes and they tend to do that.If its not vibrating in the upper range its probably fine...

I pm'd beerdart about the tool. I'm hoping that this explains the odd noise while coming down off the wave. Also, is it normal for the crankcase to be hot to the touch during normal operation? My crankcase was quite a bit warmer than my jugs while I was out there today.

ya thats normal if the pump or motor is out of alingment youll have a stripped coupler and prop houseing or chewed driveshaft not saying that the only thing that can happen but whats most common

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Check your coupler for slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Check your coupler for slipping.
    How do I do that?

Align it first...also- when you have the pump out; you can check the impeller/stator bearings for roughness or slop. Just spin the impeller by hand- should be silky smooth......

Where do I find a solid state coupler? I would be better off with a solid state than an oem correct?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbgb22 View Post
    Where do I find a solid coupler? I would be better off with a solid than an oem correct?
    Polaris used the solid couplers for a few years, mostly on the Fuji engined models, and perhaps the Pro series (I think).

You must have 100% good engine to impeller alignment with a solid coupler, and even the bonded rubber couplers are much happier with good alignment.

The bonded rubber couplers work just fine, as long as they are not damaged, and are aligned. They reduce vibration and drive-line noise.

You can find solid couplers (and rubber bonded ones) from the used parts guys. Have a look in the classifieds for machines being parted out, and folks like John Zigler, who has lots of used parts for sale.

ok, my alignment seems jacked right now, im getting the tool from BD. I guess i'll go non solid state. I'll post a wtb. thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information