Think I figured out what the Rotax Racing ECU does with the speedo

I lost my GPS last weekend from a bad mount, and haven't had one the last few days I've been riding, but after having one for so long now, I know about how fast I should be going.

Anyhow, we all know the RR ECU deletes the speedo, but randomly shows numbers, and I think I figured it out today. I believe that the Rotax Racing ECU starts the speedo counting at 60. Because when I get up to about what should be 60, I noticed it starts counting. When I estimated I was going about what I thought should be low 60's it showed 2-4. Then when I got on it, it was showing 13-14, and my ski goes about 75 +/-1-2 mph depending on conditions. This is obviously not accurate, since we know the OEM speedo is not accurate. But I have come to the conclusion, this is what the ECU displays for the speedo info, and it makes sense, since this is to be used on a race ski, running higher top speeds. Thoughts?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boostaholic View Post
    I lost my GPS last weekend from a bad mount, and haven't had one the last few days I've been riding, but after having one for so long now, I know about how fast I should be going.

Anyhow, we all know the RR ECU deletes the speedo, but randomly shows numbers, and I think I figured it out today. I believe that the Rotax Racing ECU starts the speedo counting at 60. Because when I get up to about what should be 60, I noticed it starts counting. When I estimated I was going about what I thought should be low 60's it showed 2-4. Then when I got on it, it was showing 13-14, and my ski goes about 75 +/-1-2 mph depending on conditions. This is obviously not accurate, since we know the OEM speedo is not accurate. But I have come to the conclusion, this is what the ECU displays for the speedo info, and it makes sense, since this is to be used on a race ski, running higher top speeds. Thoughts?
    the ecu should'nt have any affect on the speedo but mines an 05 so i dont know if your ecu is speedo linked?

+1
    when i installed the rr ecu i only got zero hours on the hours guage and any seadoo key would start it, and no learning keymode

+1
    The ECU on 04-06 does not control the speedo, from 07+ the ECU runs everything on the ski.

Mines an 07 full race 8600. The speedo reads 0, until I hit about 60, then it starts counting pretty quick. Just curious if anyone else had seen this, as I'm nearly 100% positive this is what its doing. It could be because I'm running the 07 ECU on my 08, the speedo sen I have a GPS permanently mounted on the Dash, so I don't need the stock speedo anyway.

I was going to take apart the speedo/temp sensor since it doesn't work with this ECU anyway, and I never use it, and strip out the temp sensor part and tap it into the manifold or intake tract somewhere. That way my temp gauge would tell me my intake charge temp . Still trying to decide what I'm going to try and wire the speedo to display, any suggestions??

Thread Information