ingin69

Angry Headpipe to manifold on 2001 XP

During normal use my XP lost power, upon inspection I noticed that one of the bolts securing the head pipe to the mainfold was loose, the nut from the stud underneath has come off and the other two bolts had sheared.

Cannot understand why this happened, any suggestions???

Your lower rubber mounts probly wore out and then killed the upper bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat View Post
    He is right. If the area around the bolts on the mid pipe and lower pipe mounts had a black film on them the bolts are working and the pipe bolts broke from the stress. Replace the rubber bushings and clean the bolts and holes as best you can. Repace the broken ones and the gasket r oring in your case and check the edges of the groove for the oring on the manifold for cracks or pieces missing. remove both lower and mid mounts and clean bolts and holes. Then install the pipe from the top down. Manifold first and torqued then the mid pipe mount with three bolts tight enough to hold the mount down and then tighten the pipe bolt and tighten the mid mount all the way. The do the same on the lower pipe mount. Use Blue Loctite on all the bolts. Do it well and wont need it for a long while. Lots dont catch it till the engine is damaged you got lucky

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    +1

ingin69
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    He is right. If the area around the bolts on the mid pipe and lower pipe mounts had a black film on them the bolts are working and the pipe bolts broke from the stress. Replace the rubber bushings and clean the bolts and holes as best you can. Repace the broken ones and the gasket r oring in your case and check the edges of the groove for the oring on the manifold for cracks or pieces missing. remove both lower and mid mounts and clean bolts and holes. Then install the pipe from the top down. Manifold first and torqued then the mid pipe mount with three bolts tight enough to hold the mount down and then tighten the pipe bolt and tighten the mid mount all the way. The do the same on the lower pipe mount. Use Blue Loctite on all the bolts. Do it well and wont need it for a long while. Lots dont catch it till the engine is damaged you got lucky
    Would the bolts coming loose cause the loss in power experienced, engine would only rev to around 6000rpm raher than the usual 7000 rpm ??

+1
    yes. the broken bolts will cause water to leak and exhaust to fill the hull, choking the engine. i had the same thing happen to me. my problem wasn't that the rubber mounts were worn, the lower rubber mount was actually missing....

JayZ is right it can also let water get into your intake and damage the engine

Thread Information