Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

STX-15F Overheating warning on a 2008

I have 25 hours on the ski and for some reason after riding for a little bit the over heating warnings come on. I'll cycle the on off switch, but it will repeat the overheating warning around 5 minutes later.

Running in deep water so I don't believe I'm actually picking up things in the water to make it overheat.

Dealer is clueless, as usual.

I flush the ski everytime it comes out of the water. Any advise or anyone having a similar problem please share. thanks.

make sure ur gettin enough water to the engine by makin sure water comes out the water bypass

I'm getting good flow out of the by pass. I was thinking of a aftermarket strainer, but I'd like to fix the issue before I do that.

How long do you warm your ski up before you go WOT when you first start out?

Quote Originally Posted by HOPGPR00 View Post
    I'm getting good flow out of the by pass. I was thinking of a aftermarket strainer, but I'd like to fix the issue before I do that.

How long do you warm your ski up before you go WOT when you first start out?

I just had the same thing happen to me this morning "HEAT". Only difference is I have an '07. Good bypass flow, engine running a little rough at idle. Oil good, no water inside hull, fresh gas, intake / prop is clear. The water coming from the bypass seemed a little hotter than normal. Flushed for 20 minutes on trailer & water is hot but not scolding hot. Engine running 1000 rpm to 1200 up and down at idle. something is defiinately wrong..Anybody have any advice? Thanx

+1
    warranty ?? u did mention its an 08.

fuel related maybe, not necessarily cooling issue

+1
    Check your hoses at the pump. The two on top of the pump. One goes to the engine and the other one goes to the exhaust. If you are not getting water in the hull, that's where I would look first. You will usually always have good flow out the pisser on the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    Check your hoses at the pump. The two on top of the pump. One goes to the engine and the other one goes to the exhaust. If you are not getting water in the hull, that's where I would look first. You will usually always have good flow out the pisser on the hose.

I checked everywhere else and no restrictions found. Plugs look good. I'll have to take the 2 hoses on top of the pump off and see. It's a pretty tight spot in there though. I do have a little bit of warranty left and would rather resolve it myself if at all possible. Seems like everytime I have something worked on under warranty I come back and have 2 new problems caused by some shlub trying to fix the first problem. It seems to be running a bit cooler off the garden hose but idles a little rough. Anyone know what temp the discharge (pisser) water should be coming out as if going in at 72 degrees?
    Please keep the ideas coming... Thanks for the help guys!

Are you getting ANY water in the hull?

+1
    This might be a long shot, but have you checked the cooling lines to the engine for kinks or maybe the hose is collapsing under hard acceleration??? Maybe when your not at wot and just crusing the line is open just enough to allow water thru. When you go to wot or accelerating hard the hose with draw together, soft spot on one of the cooling hoses??? might be worth checking ......also check the connection to the engine coolant temp sensor and check the sensor with a ohms meter.If you are getting high resistance in the sensor or connector you could be getting a false warning. I've seen that on cars and motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by bamatech View Post
    Are you getting ANY water in the hull?

No water at all. It did open my eyes as to what could happen if one of them hoses fell off..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information