Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

overheating 98xpl

i finaly got my 98 xpl to fire up for the first time since i have owned it today. it ran fine on the trailer for about five minutes with the hose hooked up. decided to take it out and see what she could do. not 1 minute after i got out of the no wake zone it starts screaming at me non-stop.

so i stoped opened the hood and the motor is smoking. i splashed alittle water on it and it was like hot fajitas at applebees.

so i ran it as little as possible back to the ramp. so now i dont know where to start looking for the cause of the over heating. any ideas?

I would check the routing of the cooling hoses. If it was rebuilt at all, whom ever did the rebuild may have just mistaken how the hoses were to be hooked up. If the hoses are good, I would remove them one at a time from the head, blow air through them going towards the jetpump and see if anything flies out from there. If not that, then I would put a small amount of air into one of the head ports and see if it blows out the other.

+1
    i will give that a try tomorrow. i think the previous owner sucked some sand or something into the cooling system somehow.

could it be that the water regulator on top of the muffler is stuck or something?

I don't think that would be related to overheating of the block. The heat sensor is on the head if it's anything similar to the 96 XP800. The water regulator on the muffler is only to keep the tuned pipe cool.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    I would check the routing of the cooling hoses
    I will bet that is it, the 2 lines on the pipe are backwards

+1
    ^^^which ones? i count four.

also, what would it mean if it doesnt overheat hooked up to the hose but does in the water?
    Last edited by mibunkerking; 08-24-2008 at 09:12 PM.

I would think that the main lines going into the head are backwards. Because when on the hose you're forcing water through the system. When in the water idling there's not much force going on which is why it takes so long to see it coming out of the telltale outlet at the back. Plus they have clibrated outputs which restrict the water somewhat probably to allow enough cooling but also maintain a constant operating temp. If the main lines are backwards, it will be quite a bit harder to get water through those small calibrated ports compared to the large one in the pump housing. That's my theory anyway

+1
    ok, I will check on that after I get off work.

I just noticed your from Florida.. Put it on the hose and check to see if water is coming out the pump.. Becarful the exaust will look like water coming out of the pump. If their is no water coming out th pump pull the hose off the nipple on the head and do it again. No water out of the nipple the nipple or head is plugged. Pull the nipple and try to clear it out (head or nipple) See this alot on salt water 951

Water comes from the pump when its in the water and goes into the head first at the elbow nipple but on the hose its the last to get water and if blocked the pump will be dry inside when run on the hose so it wont overheat on the hose for a long time

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information