XLT 1200 eats relays

I replaced the engine in this ski (but not the electrics, other than the stator).
    The relay in the ebox was very clean looking.
    It didn't work. No click, nothing.

So I put in a Superjet relay I had laying around. That one was a bit older and rattier looking.
    It worked fine for about 20-30 starts, now it also does not work. Same issue, voltage applied, no click.

What do you think, bad luck or what?
    I checked all grounds in the ebox, they're okay.
    I checked the regulator output thinking that perhaps it's blown, letting the voltage get up too high. However, it's under 13.3 Volts.

I got some relays available if interested. Is your starter operating ok, when you try to start does your cluster shows anything????

713-875-1812

Fercho

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_E View Post
    I replaced the engine in this ski (but not the electrics, other than the stator).
    The relay in the ebox was very clean looking.
    It didn't work. No click, nothing.

So I put in a Superjet relay I had laying around. That one was a bit older and rattier looking.
    It worked fine for about 20-30 starts, now it also does not work. Same issue, voltage applied, no click.

What do you think, bad luck or what?
    I checked all grounds in the ebox, they're okay.
    I checked the regulator output thinking that perhaps it's blown, letting the voltage get up too high. However, it's under 13.3 Volts.
    You replaced your orig one that failed with an old "rattier looking" one from an SJ and it failed too... I don't know if that counts as "eating relays".
    Now if you get a new relay and it fails... she's a pig!

My orig one failed after I removed my engine and replaced some parts. I put a new one on and it's been OK so far.

I'd say try another relay....

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    You replaced your orig one that failed with an old "rattier looking" one from an SJ and it failed too... I don't know if that counts as "eating relays".

My orig one failed after I removed my engine and replaced some parts. I put a new one on and it's been OK so far.

+1
    Exactly what i was thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by Fercho View Post
    I got some relays available if interested. Is your starter operating ok, when you try to start does your cluster shows anything????

713-875-1812

Fercho

Starter works fine, the cluster shows "Start" when the start button is depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post

Thanks, I am hoping that's what the problem is.
    I also replaced an engine, and then found the relay to be busted. The original engine failed due to catastrophic rod failure, so I imagine the owner tried to start the locked up engine. possibly making that relay fail.

Anyhow, I wish I could have used anything BUT the ratty looking SJ relay, but that's all I had on hand.

yeah... for sure... I would have used that relay too... I was just noting that you can't say its "eating relays" when the only other one it "ate" was that old ratty sj one.

Get a new one... if it fails, you win... (or lose!) hah.

I ordered one yesterday.

Thread Information