Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Best Mods For Surf Riding on a GSXL

Hi guys just bought a 99 GSXL with 81hrs yes one owner i don t think they ever rode it ill be picking it later on in the week I hope ill get some pics up.

Plan to use this ski for the surf not looking for top speed.
    What best mods i can do with out getting to involved with the ski try keep the engine stock if i can. ( don t need to much power for the surf i just need punch)

I was thinking WORX for intake grate (suggestions) anyone selling one

Prop SOLAS or SKAT I think the SKAT have always had an edge over Solas for surf type riding i could be wrong and what pitch (suggestion)

Air filters and Re Jet carbs is it worth doing for mainly surf ride and jumping waves. (suggestions)

U.M.I Steering to get the bars higher more forward and wider is this really worth the riders comfort in the surf its an expensive MOD.

I want to be able ot throw this ski around and do as many tricks i can do from air time to broncos.

Is there anything else that you would recommend for a GSXL for wave jumping.

This one is easy. I had 2 excelent GSXL's one set up for surf.. First Sponsons. Got some odessy sponsons on EBay. Tough to put on but needed if you want to jump the same wave several times before it hits the beach. The UMI setup aint that expencive but it makes spinning it on its own legth possible and precise control. also lighter. I didnt like them at first but they realy grew on me and were even good for The St Johns . next Worx grate to keep hooked up for the dash back to the beach and quick turn. Next PPG Level one (personel choice I have known and worked for Glen & Connie) You can use anyones. Head & F/As with a rejet. Take the time to get rid of those gray fuel lines and dont forget the vent lines they can cause the check valves to gumm up and then suck in water.(personel experiance) my spelling sucks. Install a Bildge pump Rule 500 put the outlet up the back of the ski werever you can get a clear shot for the hose with the pump monted as low in the hull as possible infront of the left bailer . Wire it to a switch or use an automatic one wired to the mpem. Impellor I used stock but then later went for a Scat Pump.. Nice addition but way to expecive. (got it with a used Ski). Use Dieletric grease in the plug boots and try to keep the inside of the hull as dry as possible.. The Carbon seal seamed to work well and the bearing option was a pita.. Thats what I remeber for now... Dont forget HydroTurf mats landing and having a foot slip hurts. Factory mats suck

Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    This one is easy. I had 2 excelent GSXL's one set up for surf.. First Sponsons. Got some odessy sponsons on EBay. Tough to put on but needed if you want to jump the same wave several times before it hits the beach. The UMI setup aint that expencive but it makes spinning it on its own legth possible and precise control. also lighter. I didnt like them at first but they realy grew on me and were even good for The St Johns . next Worx grate to keep hooked up for the dash back to the beach and quick turn. Next PPG Level one (personel choice I have known and worked for Glen & Connie) You can use anyones. Head & F/As with a rejet. Take the time to get rid of those gray fuel lines and dont forget the vent lines they can cause the check valves to gumm up and then suck in water.(personel experiance) my spelling sucks. Install a Bildge pump Rule 500 put the outlet up the back of the ski werever you can get a clear shot for the hose with the pump monted as low in the hull as possible infront of the left bailer . Wire it to a switch or use an automatic one wired to the mpem. Impellor I used stock but then later went for a Scat Pump.. Nice addition but way to expecive. (got it with a used Ski). Use Dieletric grease in the plug boots and try to keep the inside of the hull as dry as possible.. The Carbon seal seamed to work well and the bearing option was a pita.. Thats what I remeber for now... Dont forget HydroTurf mats landing and having a foot slip hurts. Factory mats suck
    Does the intake grate help with speed at all? I have a stock one thats somehow bent, and i wanted to get a replacement wondering whether i should get an aftermarket like R&D or just find an OEM replacement ...

Usually most aftermarket grates like R&D are top loaders (Shovel). You tend to loose 1-2mph but you gain pump hook-up in rough water. Worth it if you ride in choppy conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by rob2337 View Post
    Usually most aftermarket grates like R&D are top loaders (Shovel). You tend to loose 1-2mph but you gain pump hook-up in rough water. Worth it if you ride in choppy conditions.
    would replacing my stock bent one with a stock that isnt bent benefit me at all?

+1
    Bilge pump.

+1
    What impeller would be best for a stock 951 GSXL.

To use in the surf bottom and mid range punch needed.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Skat 13/21 swirl would be a good prop for your application.

+1
    Sorry jus checked SKATS application chart they recommend the 13/21 for a modified craft this ski is bone stock.

Would i be better of with the 13/20 has anyone teste both impellers in a stock GSXL

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Sorry, why would you ask if you can just check it yourself?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information