98 XPL 951 cavitation

I did some searching and alot of reading. I was wondering if someone had a blow by blow of how to reseal my shoe etc on my 98 XPL. I am cavitating badly. I replaced the wear ring impeller and resealed pump to housing but still doing it. Mostly if I punch it sitting still it will barely move have to let up come onto it slow and then give it to her. It runs OK on top, but with my mods I think I am losing some there and if it is getting air in there taking off I am sure it is still getting air in when trying to top it out. I have 15/20 Concord impeller, the original bronze pump new wear ring, Pro K filters 85 pilots 170 mains R&D head. I am getting about 62 MPH but I think if I fix the leak I can get 65 maybe out of her. Oh yah no water in hull or atleast not enough to count. I am hoping for a how to for sealing the pump, the shoe, the plate and the intake grate I might as well do them all. I have been using Ultra black is that OK too?

This aint a YAMAHA the shoe doesnt normaly cause cavitation but Bent shafts leaking shaft seals bent impellors damaged pumps or even bent intake grates. Pull your drive shaft and look at the carbon seal. Look at the intake grate check for bends and that its secure. While you are at it look to seal if the shoe is sealed. Most have black sealer to keep out air and water from the wrong places. To pull that Shoe is a PITA

+1
    go to wal mart in the sewing section.....they carry sticky back foam, about 1/8" thick. get a few sheets, take off the pump and trace the outline of the face , cut out middle and install in the groove the pump(stcky side on boat) sits/mates to the hull on the support plate. They that before taking off the support plate to reseal, which might have to be done also...

TLR

neat idea TLR I forgot the 98 uses the wear ring edge to seal the pump

+1
    would it cav alot if his wear ring was spinning?i dont think he has screws in it to hold it? just a thought!

I was using Ultra black, but are you saying to use the foam where the wear ring and pump touch the ( I am calling it a shoe maybe thats the wrong name) plate that sits on the hull and would I still use Ultra black or should I just use the foam. So far I have replaced the wear ring replaced the impeller. When I took the pump off there was no sealant at all so I thought I found the smoking gun because everyone was talking about using the sealer on the 98's. Nothing has seemed to help or made it in the least bit better so I was thinking it must be deeper. I was also told if no water is leaking in the carbon seal dont replace it because it is OK. I did have the shaft out rolled it on the bench and there is no obvious bend. Of course turning it on a lathe would tell me for sure but I didnt have one right then. One guy mentioned the plates on the hull that the pump bolts to are a PITA to reseal but have been known to leak due to minimum selant from the factory. Underneath I see the intake grate and ride plate visually look OK, but not sealed or blended around the edges so I was going to do that. Any other ideas and what exactly is the shoe and I calling the wrong part a shoe?

+1
    Just use the foam

TLR

Thread Information