+1

S2 failure in rxt

Last winter I did a stage 2 setup in my 05 rxt...

Performance Mods
    Riva S3 charger
    42# injectors
    Riva IC
    GH waterbox
    and all the goodies of a riva stage 1, with BOs replaced with RE blockoffs

In spring, when water temps were high 40s low 50s (F) we tested and ski was spot on 8100 rpms with a 15/20r prop and a top speed of 73.5 gps.. after a few runs i checked the j pipe and it was in perfect condition.

Well things have changed....

Ski started to bog on the ride home last friday. It was driven at slower speed to the dock, and once at the dock it was stalling out.

With so many people running this setup, and the box being so new to the market I think the exhaust set up might have made it just a little bit too lean... but im not sure if that contributed to the gh box blowing out or if the box blowing out contributed to the jpipe tip eroding?

You guys still think the manifold tip is usable... (I think so)...

we still have the stock box which will go back in and then run a pipe to the thru hull... one thing is for sure.. im gettin an afr setup. ON the next setup i will test, and if needed go to a rfpr. due to the difference between the two, if it was lean with the gh box, it may not with the stock and a thru hull pipe.

the gh box,along with the blow out, also had a spot where it was corroding, and two spots where the box had stretched out a bit.. I dont think we are going to be able to save it, sniff sniff..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0136.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	958.1 KB 
ID:	90711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0134.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	90712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0138.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	1,010.9 KB 
ID:	90713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	90714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	991.2 KB 
ID:	90715  

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Wow. She looks to me like it was definitely lean. EGT's were high enough to start heating up the aluminum of the waterbox to the point of melting it!! Its just the weld turned out to be the weak spot. Might be a good idea to get the SS manifold bell and go with the RRFPR man.

Banned User
    +1
    Thats the manifold that eroded, not the Jpipe...

Speaking of Jpipe, what does it look like? Did you over tighten the 3 clamps maybe, and starved the box of water? Maybe they got clogged. Are you running a strainer before the IC?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Thats the manifold that eroded, not the Jpipe...

Speaking of Jpipe, what does it look like? Did you over tighten the 3 clamps maybe, and starved the box of water? Maybe they got clogged. Are you running a strainer before the IC?

D'oh, sorry, meant to say "pulled" the j-pipe, gettin my parts mixed up here.. Yeah strainer is in place... since its out, i cant answer if the clamps were too tight.. i can say the ski was about 1/3 full of water when the seat was taken off.. I guess that would just say water was flowing, but not sure if the proper amount was flowing.

+1
    I'm not saying hes not running lean.But a few others on here and myself have had the same issue with the water boxes and manifolds..Its not just the green box this is happening to its modded boxes also....The reason your water box blew out is because you lost water somehow some way..Not all of it but enough to heat that box up to the point of a blowout.Check all your cooling system and make sure its all clear...Also I have noticed that with these modded boxes that the J-pipe only sits about 1 1/2 inches off the bottom of the manifold...Now with no baffles the water comes in one side and right out the other without having time to cool the gases as a baffled box does....Now picture this..Restricted water flow,a J-pipe sitting 1 3/4 inches from the bottom of the water box blowing extremely hot gases directly to the bottom of the box..Your getting a blowtorch effect with little water to cool it What me and a few other guys have done is cut the J-pipe 1 3/4 from the bottom this gives the gas a little more space to dissipate instead of being blown directly on the bottom of the box..And so far the guys i have talked to that have done this,including myself have had no issues anymore with this..My manifold i thought was done to a lean condition but after checking my A/F i am good..I have burnt two manifold up and it isn't due to a lean condition..Possibly the bigger SC wheels are producing hotter exhaust gases causing the tip of the manifold to melt...

And oh ya....Your waterbox is fixable as long as you know a good aluminum welder..

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I'm not saying hes not running lean.But a few others on here and myself have had the same issue with the water boxes and manifolds..Its not just the green box this is happening to its modded boxes also....The reason your water box blew out is because you lost water somehow some way..Not all of it but enough to heat that box up to the point of a blowout.Check all your cooling system and make sure its all clear...Also I have noticed that with these modded boxes that the J-pipe only sits about 1 1/2 inches off the bottom of the manifold...Now with no baffles the water comes in one side and right out the other without having time to cool the gases as a baffled box does....Now picture this..Restricted water flow,a J-pipe sitting 1 3/4 inches from the bottom of the water box blowing extremely hot gases directly to the bottom of the box..Your getting a blowtorch effect with little water to cool it What me and a few other guys have done is cut the J-pipe 1 3/4 from the bottom this gives the gas a little more space to dissipate instead of being blown directly on the bottom of the box..And so far the guys i have talked to that have done this,including myself have had no issues anymore with this..My manifold i thought was done to a lean condition but after checking my A/F i am good..I have burnt two manifold up and it isn't due to a lean condition..Possibly the bigger SC wheels are producing hotter exhaust gases causing the tip of the manifold to melt...

And oh ya....Your waterbox is fixable as long as you know a good aluminum welder..
    One thing I noticed when I put the 5" hole in the center baffle of my box...... After I pull the ski out of the water I usually start it up to blow a bit of water out. If I goose it on the trailer an absurd amount of water comes out the exhaust compared to when my box was stock!

+1
    Mine does the same thing.Like i was sayin it comes in and out it goes that fast..No where for it to collect and cool like in a stock box..

+1
    my manifold has looked like that for many many hours, once the larger tip went, it stopped eroding

Thread Information