Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Risks of Jumping Waves?

So I am pondering the Idea of taking the Skis out into the ocean to do some wave jumping but have no idea on what I could be getting myself into when it comes to breaking parts on the ski, I have done searches but cant seem to find what im looking for. I know that everytime we go out there is a risk of something breaking, motor blowing up, SC failing and all that jazz but what are the areas that you have to look out for when it comes to jumping? My guess would be the pump/reverse gate since most of the time you would be landing on them as well as the supercharger/driveshaft from it going from having resistance to no resistance and spooling up then back on to resistance real hard. What do you guys think? What needs to be improved/upgraded any technique you would suggest for the first time out? Am I missing anything? Thanks alot in advance!
    david

Wave jumping can be hard on the machine yes, but they do design them to take a pounding. Waves are a part of the aquatic environment so it stands to reason that PWCs are built for them. Some simple things to remmember when wave jumping would be:
    - keep well clear of other boats (about 150 feet or so behind cruisers) always watching for other riders comming at the wakes/waves from the other side
    - make sure to release the throttle when airborn, keeping on the gas causes unnnecessary wear on the components and pump
    - Always try to land stern first since the hull can flex and crack if it constantly lands flat on the water. The stern is one of the tronger parts of the hull and landing stern first helps support the weight until the boat settles horizontal
    - Be aware of your body postion when attempting a jump, if you are not centered on the machine you can easily injure yourself on the landing or loose grip on your boat while airborn. Many injuries occur from riders crashing into the handlebars while landing

Hope this helps, i am sure there is more advice to be posted.
    Last edited by Dr.Bio; 08-25-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Fly:

You do not need that much speed to jump waves. Alot of guys that I ride with go way too fast when hitting a wave.

Trim up the ski all the way and approach the wave at a +-45 degree angle, ride through the trough and at the last second nail it until you just start to come off the top of the wave and then let off the throttle completely. You will come down nice and cushy.

Start very slow, and you will see what I mean.

On the lake where I ride, on just 2 foot waves, I can fly out of the water 3-5 feet. It is a real blast.

And when I am up on Lake Superior on 5 footers, the only way to stay in control is to decrease the angle of attack to the waves.

I was out yesterday on Lake Michigan and the waves just kept building. Near the end of the day it had to have been about 5-6 foot swells. My last run I actually had my Aunts 06 GTX almost straight up and down and thats when I called it quits. There is just something about landing straight up and down on a GTX that I dont like

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Landing straign up and down is actualy the BEST way to land. The back end of the ski will pierce the water and submerge making the landing MUCH softer. Sometimes the TOPS sensor will cause the engine to sputter but is more of an annoyance than anything. Just make sure you keep and eye on the front motor mount, checking it often by pulling up on the front of the motor. If you can lift the motor up, replace the mount immediatly. I've put my RXT through hell in the ocean and have never had a problem. And like Jeff said there's no need to approach a wave with speed. once you start to go up the wave hammer down and release at the top.

and then when another 6 foot swells push u back over then what

+1
    I concur with 01xdime, motor mounts and ankles/knees/back are the one that takes the most abuse. Make sure you have someone with you with a real rescue rope outfitted with a bouy/SS d-ring if you are going out in the ocean surf jumping. Because once something goes bad in the surf, it starts going real bad in the surf and make sure the rope is attached and ready to go. Jumping boat wakes is pretty easy unless you mistime it and stuff the next wave. That causes many things to disappear off the body quickly. You will learn from your mistakes. Have fun!!!!!!!!

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    and then when another 6 foot swells push u back over then what
    As soon as you land lean over the bars and hammer down brother. If you're worried about gettin bowled over by a lil ole 6 foot swell the you shouldn't be out there. Try getting the nose stuffed off a legitimate 15 footer (crest to trough) in the break of the tides in an inlet during a small craft advisory. Use your judgement , if you don't think you should be out in it then don't do it. And always ride with a buddy(on a different ski)

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    teeth

+1
    Well, lets see. my legs hurt, my neck hurts, my ass hurts, my arms hurt, and my face hurts from a sun burn. I am walking like an 80 yr old. It was a blast though. I cant wait for the next storm to come through. yee haw!

As stated above, Dont go out by your self. Everyone needs a rope hooked up and ready to go, and always check you motor mounts before going. A broken motor mount on a sea doo usually means taking on water. If you dont have a rope ready to go you may find your self and your ski on the beach. Bilge pump is a must also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information