Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XL1200 Piston Seized

Hoping for a little friendly advice.

Picking up a used 98 XL1200 (non-PV) this week with "a stuck piston." Previous owner says used it one weekend, went to start it the next and motor is seized. Not sure how bad it really is yet, I think he's taken the head off already so I am assuming it is not a matter of some WD-40 to fix.

What's the right process for tearing the engine down and diagnosing?

What's the "worst case scenario"? I'm a little unclear exactly how these motors are put together... Assuming the crank isn't damaged, how tough a job should the repair be? If I'm in it that far I'm assuming a carb rebuild is also in order?

Have never rebuilt a motor before but this seemed like a good project to learn. Would appreciate any links, manuals, etc, specific to this motor.

Apologize in advance for the stupid questions. I'm mechanically capable of doing the job, just haven't done it before.

I have the same problem with my 99. Any input would be great...

99 is a completely diff motor The 98 is a cake walk IMHO

A friend pointed out that it could just as well be the crank that is seized, or the pump. Will disconnect the pump first to make sure that's not related...

thats good advice! more folks will chime in! I'm at work but will check back later!

"Second place is really just the first loser." YSAVE's Avatar
    It could be the crank.. That's what happend to my GPR.. Always assume worst case scenario when buying a ski. So plan on rebuilding the whole engine.. Here's a step by step engine teardown. http://www.sbtontheweb.com/pdfs/y11001200npv.pdf

Yamaha´s pistons poor quality

I had earlier yamaha GP1200 135hp. 1997. In that XL1200 have same type engine. I bought it new. After I had ride it 25 hours i hear strange noise. I make compression test.There was not big different pressure between cylinders. I borrow endoscope and I saw damaged in the cylinder. I open the engine and there was two piston without piston ring stop pin. Unbeliable. Other piston was totally damaged. I make warranty Claim. Yamaha told me that I had drive fast with cold engine. Bullshit I told . I always drive carefully engine warm before I put Flat out. I replace original piston with Wiseco pistons. I was lucky, that damage was not bigger. I believe that many yamaha has blow up with that same reason. It cant be coincident, that only two piston are poor quality.

You drove to fast!!

if you think the head has alreay been off, just whip it off again and check each piston for movement (lateral)

also check for any gouges in the bore, if none, go back to the pump.

the head will take a couple of minutes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomisho View Post
    I had earlier yamaha GP1200 135hp. 1997. In that XL1200 have same type engine. I bought it new. After I had ride it 25 hours i hear strange noise. I make compression test.There was not big different pressure between cylinders. I borrow endoscope and I saw damaged in the cylinder. I open the engine and there was two piston without piston ring stop pin. Unbeliable. Other piston was totally damaged. I make warranty Claim. Yamaha told me that I had drive fast with cold engine. Bullshit I told . I always drive carefully engine warm before I put Flat out. I replace original piston with Wiseco pistons. I was lucky, that damage was not bigger. I believe that many yamaha has blow up with that same reason. It cant be coincident, that only two piston are poor quality.
    My 98 GP1200 with Group K ported cyl/ Stock original pistons went 320 hard hours before catching a ring on the exhaust port, so I have faith in the stock stuff. Now if you are rebuilding, then forged aftermarket is the only way to go.

As to the original question: Good chance an oil line came off and you seized a piston, and usually that is only a piston, and possibly a rebore of cyl. Cranks are pretty tough, you can do a new piston and bore without removing engine. Just finished up that job for a friend #3 cyl on a 99 XL1200 NON-PV engine. (only the 99 XLL1200 was PV). Cleaned the bottom of that cyl crank area out real good, bored cyl, new stock piston, runs better than ever. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information