Ultra 150 Intake Grate

I'm looking to improve the handling of the Ultra 150...I have on order a shredmaster ride plate and i'm looking to purchase an intake grate. Any recommendations on a plate? Also what exactly does a plate do?

Thanks!

+1
    The only choice is to modify the stock grate or get a R&D grate. The others scrub off way too much speed. The R&D will give you better hookup in teh water but teh stocker will be the fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack77 View Post
    I'm looking to improve the handling of the Ultra 150...I have on order a shredmaster ride plate and i'm looking to purchase an intake grate. Any recommendations on a plate? Also what exactly does a plate do?

Thanks!

As far as handling is concerned you already did the first best thing with the Shredmaster. Next thing I would do is get some sponsons, try to get some Beach House or Worx, I wouldn't run R&D sponsons personally not adjustable but the other two are. As far as intake grate is concerned, I tend to disagree with the other reply. It depends on your water conditions, if your running in smooth to light chop I would agree by modifying your OEM by cutting the center bar out BUT I absolutely wouldn't run an R&D intake grate either, its way to aggressive for a stock 1200 motor on the Ultra and STXR unless your racing cc and running open class meaning port work, triple pipes, carbs, reeds, race fuel, the hole shebang. The R&D intake loads the pump ALOT and will bog the pump and cause the 1200 to lag on holeshot and midrange compared to the Worx. If your running in choppy water and you've got a stock Ultra the Worx is the way to go. If you want one I've got one hanging on the wall back when I ran Ultra's and tested pump combo's. Also, I'd recommend running the stock impeller repitched and get the pumped shimmed over the Dynafly, it'll save you money and has a little more hookup in chop also and same on top end.
    Last edited by STXR814; 08-26-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Stxr makes some good points.one of my favorite sayings about an ultra is " Make it handle then make it go fast " Getting on a stock one scares the crap out of me.

I havent run a worx grate but I do run a mod stock and a r&d depending on water conditions. The testing I did last year between the 2 showed the mod stock was 1.3 mph faster. On my setup the r&d launched better, the mod wanted to unhook 3-5 ft out of the hole.

Modding the stock prop is a good choice, I have one that I have run at times. Didnt notice any difference in hookup but wasnt looking for it. At the time it was pure top speed. I will say it seemed to launch harder but was .5 - 1 mph slower on top for me. He makes a good point on shimming the prop, it makes alot of difference.

Now keep in mind that my ski was far from stock when that testing was done. It is even further away now, The only thing im not doing is running race gas now. It is pretty much a full open class racer.

Check out the mods thread in my sig if you havent already. That is pretty much a chronicle of everything done to mine last year. The makover thread covers what has been done this year.

Thanks for the tips! I'm really looking to improve handling on flat water, and improve stability in 1-2' of chop just cursing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack77 View Post
    Thanks for the tips! I'm really looking to improve handling on flat water, and improve stability in 1-2' of chop just cursing.

Shred plate, shim the pump, cut the center bar out of the OEM intake grate, and MUST put some sponsons on like previous mentioned then. Forget an AM intake grate if your riding in glass water it will scrub about 2mph like the Worx and R&D.

Thread Information