State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar

Question Shop says: "Can't make adjustments to an ECU - have to buy a new one." ??

I may be WAY off base here...so I need some help. I have an '04 GTX/SC that had a blown piston. Dropped a new motor in (picked one up from another '04 GTX - so it's the identical motor).

Engine runs, but doesn't run consistently - RPM's are jumping around a bit when I throttle up on the water (would jump from 3800 to 4100, then back down to 3800 or 3600). Just doesn't seem to be running very smoothly or consistently.

Another member from Green Hulk suggested that since I am using a NEW engine with a NEW throttle body and my OLD ECU, I had to have the ECU checked out and have the ski adjusted so that the throttle body and ECU were in sync.

Now.....I pulled the motor and did all the reinstall work myself and am very comfortable with that - but the electrical programming is way over my head. I don't know how it works, what its supposed to do - other than control the fuel/air mixture on the ski based upon the engines demands.

I called one of the dealerships that could actually get the ski in this week and was told by the service manager the following:
    "you can't adjust an ECU. You have to buy a new one. If somethings wrong with it, you can't use it and there are no adjustments you can make" And, "if you put it on the new motor, it should fire right up and work fine...."

So, was I wrong to think that there are actually adjustments that have to be made to make the ski run correctly/smoothly?? I had talked with two other dealerships who both said "yes, we can schedule that for you and have it checked out..."
    Last edited by BartenderSmalley; 08-25-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes....

Banned User
    +1
    Where is the old throttle body? If you have it, put it back on...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Where is the old throttle body? If you have it, put it back on...
    Don't really want to. The older one had around 75-80 hours on it and was used in salt water, so the throttle body had some gunk on it and light residue - could easily be cleaned, but I would prefer to stay with the new one (less then 45 hours) because it looks like it just came out of the box.

Just talked to the normal service guy I use and he said that with the change, I most likely need to have the throttle position sensor reset. I am taking it there this afternoon and he is going to try and squeeze it in. I don't know - these things get so complicated. I need to go to school and learn about this new hobby. LOL.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BartenderSammy View Post
    I may be WAY off base here...so I need some help. I have an '04 GTX/SC that had a blown piston. Dropped a new motor in (picked one up from another '04 GTX - so it's the identical motor).

Engine runs, but doesn't run consistently - RPM's are jumping around a bit when I throttle up on the water (would jump from 3800 to 4100, then back down to 3800 or 3600). Just doesn't seem to be running very smoothly or consistently.

Another member from Green Hulk suggested that since I am using a NEW engine with a NEW throttle body and my OLD ECU, I had to have the ECU checked out and have the ski adjusted so that the throttle body and ECU were in sync.

Now.....I pulled the motor and did all the reinstall work myself and am very comfortable with that - but the electrical programming is way over my head. I don't know how it works, what its supposed to do - other than control the fuel/air mixture on the ski based upon the engines demands.

I called one of the dealerships that could actually get the ski in this week and was told by the service manager the following:
    "you can't adjust an ECU. You have to buy a new one. If somethings wrong with it, you can't use it and there are no adjustments you can make" And, "if you put it on the new motor, it should fire right up and work fine...."

So, was I wrong to think that there are actually adjustments that have to be made to make the ski run correctly/smoothly?? I had talked with two other dealerships who both said "yes, we can schedule that for you and have it checked out..."
    Not true, when installing anew Throttle body or ECU the ECU has to have the closed throttle position stored in it for the engine to run properly. Apparently this dealer does not know their way around BUDS

Sammy, maybe you could send PPG the ECU & TB, but I remember that the the ECU needs to be in the ski when the adjustment is made... Ron

Sammy, call PPG tomorrow and see what they say. If you have to drive 75 miles each way, you will still save some money as compared to buying a new ECU... Ron

Are you nearer to PPG or Cocoa Florida? Central near Cape Canaveral

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Sammy, call PPG tomorrow and see what they say. If you have to drive 75 miles each way, you will still save some money as compared to buying a new ECU... Ron

I actually dropped it off today at the dealer I usually work with. They originally didn't think they could get me in for several weeks, but I talked with the service guy I know and he said to just bring it by. He said the same thing about the throttle position sensor - I will pick it back up tomorrow with the TPS reset.

Was planning on taking it to PPG on Thursday or Friday but I am out of town so it wasn't going to work and wanted it done for the weekend.

Thanks.

Thread Information