Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 03 variage I

03 variage I

first let me start by saying this site is awsome, and i hope this is posted in the right place. I am very new to skis, this is my first. I have read/searched for a couple of days and can't seem to find out what is wrong with my ski, but i did fix a few little thing after reading, ie..reset the lock code back to factory default 1234, thanks for that post. now back to my problem at hand. the ski: 2003 virage I roughly 340 hrs, not sure of previous owners maint. but don't think it was his top priority, said that he hadn't ridden much in the last couple of years and it has been sitting, said he only had it out 1 time last year. i removed all the old fuel, and oil replaced with fresh, had a friend who works on other type of skis clean fuel injectors and make sure there was no blockages in the exhaust system, water flowing good through intake and out hose, check thermostat and it will open in hot water and close when in cool. the ski will start right up, idel fine will run great for about 15 min, then rpm limiter will kick in (limit at about 3500) and the check engine light will come on, after sitting for about 3or4 min the ski will run fine for about another 5-10 min, then repeat the whole process, i bypassed the heat sensor coming from the exhaust manifold with no change, any suggestion on what to do will be greatly appreciated. the closest mech. to work on this is about an hour away, so i would like to try and give it a go before having to take it to them. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

I am sure you have already, but just to be sure, you can download the 2003 Service Manual from here.

When the Check Engine lamp comes on, is there any other warning info or message?
    'Check Engine' or 'Overheat'?

According to the Service Manual [page 218], RPM limit will not occur for low fuel or oil, only for overheat and Reverse.

How did you 'bypass' the exhaust manifold heat sensor?
    Just unplug it?

I think the EMM has its own water temp sensor built into the EMM, and the EMM needs to be kept cool.
    Have you confirmed that the cooling water flow through the EMM is good? No kinked hoses, no debris blocking the flow?
    You may need to undo the cooling hoses to the EMM, flush them out (or replace them), and confirm good water flow throughout. The EMM itself may need to be be flushed out.

03 Virage I overheating ?

Welcome to the Hulk! Thank you and thanks for the quick reply

I am sure you have already, but just to be sure, you can download the 2003 Service Manual from here. yes, i downloaded already

When the Check Engine lamp comes on, is there any other warning info or message?
    'Check Engine' or 'Overheat'? Just Check Engine

According to the Service Manual [page 218], RPM limit will not occur for low fuel or oil, only for overheat and Reverse.

How did you 'bypass' the exhaust manifold heat sensor?
    Just unplug it? I unplugged it and used a jumper wire to complete the circut

I think the EMM has its own water temp sensor built into the EMM, and the EMM needs to be kept cool.
    Have you confirmed that the cooling water flow through the EMM is good? No kinked hoses, no debris blocking the flow? I have unhooked the lines and blown them out with compressed air, but have not confirmed good water flow throught them, will do that today

You may need to undo the cooling hoses to the EMM, flush them out (or replace them), and confirm good water flow throughout. The EMM itself may need to be be flushed out. anything special you need to do to flush the EMM or can you just run water through it

also could you tell me about what the top speed/rpm should be on this ski it has the 100hp engine, the first time i took it out it would only do about 35-40, then next few times it was 40-45mph,-with just me on the ski, thought that was just from sitting for a long time and had to get everthing back in running shape.

again thanks for the quick reply and i will let you know if there is good water flow from the EMM. I will also post some pics as soon i can, have only had the ski for less then a week an haven't had time to get many pics.
    Last edited by wags001; 08-26-2008 at 08:35 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wags001 View Post
    ...How did you 'bypass' the exhaust manifold heat sensor?
    Just unplug it? I unplugged it and used a jumper wire to complete the circuit...
    Shorting the water temp sensor connector is not the correct method. The water temp sensor is a variable resistance sensor. At 77F (25C), the resistance should be about 985-1015 ohms (Service Manual page 250).

Check the sensor with an ohm-meter. To bypass the sensor, you can try leaving it unplugged (not sure if the EMM will like that), or even better insert a 1,000 ohm 5% tolerance resistor into the end of the water temp sensor cable connection.

Check the air temp sensor while you are at it (990-1010 ohms). It is fastened into the bottom of the flame arrestor base.

Also lift the flame arrestor cover off, and check whether the cover support web is cutting into the air temp sensor. If it is, trim the interfering plastic web back, and seal up the sensor with a spot of marine silicone.

You might also try disconnecting or bypassing the air temp sensor with another 1,000 ohm resistor.

Just checked the water flow and there is no water flowing to the EMM, took hoses off and they were not plugged so now i have to check for a blockage. there was no water coming from the top or the bottom nozzle on the front of the engine by the oil pump (not sure what its called) could this be a bad solenoid?

+1
    Just checked the water flow and there is no water flowing to the EMM, took hoses off and they were not plugged so now i have to check for a blockage. there was no water coming from the top or the bottom nozzle on the front of the engine by the oil pump (not sure what its called) could this be a bad solenoid?
    The electrical stator cover on the front of the engine is in series with the water flow to the EMM.

The water flows into the stator cover on one fitting, then out the stator cover on the other fitting, and up to the EMM. From the EMM, it then flows out the water exit at the rear of the hull. Make sure the small hoses are not kinked or blocked (second photo).

The water feed is from a tee in the main cooling water inlet hose. When the boat is in the water, the jet pump pressurizes the water inlet hose.

You can replicate the normal cooling water flow by disconnecting the large hose at the base of the jet pump (3/4" size hose, I think), and connect a garden hose there. On my Virage TXi, it is the hose in the third photo that crosses over the jet pump tunnel. It is the largest hose that connects to the jet pump base, down beside the pump tunnel.

If you want to do the garden hose test without running the engine, you should first disconnect and cap the small exhaust manifold water injection hose (shown in first photo), to prevent the exhaust system from flooding with water. Normally, the running engine keeps the water from accumulating inside the exhaust. Just disconnect the hose at the smaller fitting, and cap it.

Remember to reconnect everything before you put the machine back in the water!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200041.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	90984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0878.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	90986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149937.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	90987  

03 Virage I overheating ?

<P></P>I have it hooked up to the hose like you stated (Pic #3) I still can't get water to flow to the EMM. Pic.#1 and #2 is the hoses that go to the EMM that are on the front of the engine by the oil pump (i think thats what you called the electrical stator) the bottom hose goes to the top of the EMM and the top hose(which has the solenoid) goes to a "T" to the bottom of the EMM and out the back of the hull. The "T" on the intake hose goes up to the back of the engine(pic #4) the intake hose doesn't go up to the front of the engine like in yours. I just can't figure out why there is not water coming from the hoses on the front of the engine, do you think i should remove the cover on the electrical stator and see if it is clogged there or do you think it could be a bad solenoid? again i really appreciate everything you are helping me with,, sorry i don't know that much about jet skis YET but iam learning so thank you

Name:	P8265114.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	90999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8265115.JPG 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	91000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8265116.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	91001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8265119.JPG 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	91002  

after looking at it i think that someone has done some work on it(because a couple of the hoses have regular clamps on them instead of the original crimp clamps) and might have not routed the water hoses correctly, in pic #1 is that where the solenoid is supose to be or does it conect to the back side of the exhaust manifold? this is where they have the water hose after the second "T' on the intake water hose and i think this hose is supose to go to the front of the engine(at the bottom of the electrical stator) not to the back side of the exhause manifold. hope this makes sense.

one more question should the water go in the bottom fitting and come out the top at the front of the engine (electrical stator) and then to the EMM sorry for all the dumb questions

+1
    I had forgotten about the water injection solenoid (round and square object you are pointing at in your first photo). It is only present on the two cylinder fuel injected engines.

The water injection solenoid (which is primarily present to reduce exhaust emissions, and really doesn't do much in that regard) can easily get clogged, and some owners simply remove it entirely, and cap off the water feed into the engine air intake system. Page 42 in the 2003 Service Manual.

That said, the water flow through the stator cover (the big black cover around the oil pump) and through the EMM should not be affected by a clogged water injection solenoid.

The stator cover's water connections are all on the front side, there are no internal connections to the engine's water jacket.

Is there a tee where the water injection solenoid blue hose connects to the stator cover, or is there a third water connection to the stator cover?

+1
    after looking at it i think that someone has done some work on it (because a couple of the hoses have regular clamps on them instead of the original crimp clamps) and might have not routed the water hoses correctly,
    in pic #1 is that where the solenoid is supposed to be or does it connect to the back side of the exhaust manifold?

this is where they have the water hose after the second "T' on the intake water hose and i think this hose is suppose to go to the front of the engine(at the bottom of the electrical stator) not to the back side of the exhaust manifold...

one more question should the water go in the bottom fitting and come out the top at the front of the engine (electrical stator) and then to the EMM sorry for all the dumb questions
    For reference, attached is where the stator cover water connections should be.

Also refer to page 120 in the 2003 Service Manual regarding the proper routing for the water lines. Compare the factory diagram with what your Virage i has. I think there is something different, and perhaps the EMM is not getting any water flow.

Name:	Ficht electrical stator cover cooling diagram.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	91008  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information