1994 750 SS Fuel Filter?

For all my searching I cannot find a filter in the fuel feed line between the tank and the carb. I found this pic on a Kawi parts site but what they call a fuel filter (49019) is just a filter to keep water from getting in through the tank vent:

Are the two in tank filters sufficient or should I put one in line between the fuel selector and the carb? The ski had been sitting for several years before I bought it and started riding it this weekend. I'm planning on blocking off the crankcase drain and the oil injection as I mentioned in my first thread discussing this ski but the fact that it sat for a while and could have some crap floating around somewhere makes me think an inline filter would be a good idea.

John

Actually that filter you're speaking of is called a fuel separator. It keeps any water and sediment in the bottom but allowing clean fuel to carry on. Plus the fuel pick-ups in the tank have screens on them as well. It's still never a bad idea to add an in-line fuel filter if you're that concerned. For a ski that hasn't run in anything over a few months I would highly recommend cleaning the carbs though. If any part of the high speed circuit is plugged you could very easily blow up the engine. Nothing worse than being a fair distance away from home and have the engine grenade on you dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    Actually that filter you're speaking of is called a fuel separator. It keeps any water and sediment in the bottom but allowing clean fuel to carry on.

That's what I thought when I looked at it. It looks like most water separators I've seen but if you follow the hose routing the one hose comes off the vent section of the tank and the other goes to atmosphere. The strange thing is that Kawasaki's parts lookup calls it a "fuel filter" as well. I plan to take the carb off, I just picked up the ski a couple of days before we left for vacation so I didn't have time to get the gaskets and what not, I didn't want to take it apart and have one of the gaskets rip, leaving the ski inoperable. I've been checking the plugs and the mixture seems to be fine. I guess I'll order one of the inline water separators/filters for it like the stock one on my Yamaha and some gaskets for the carb on the Kawi.

Thanks.

John

Thread Information