Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Going to GPS my ski for the first time

Taking the ski down to my parent's bay house for the weekend and my bro-in-law is going to bring his portable GPS so we can finally figure out how fast it really goes.

I still don't know what all my ski has in it, but I do know it is a 95 raider 1100 with 46mm Mikuni carbs, Riva intake, Riva head, pro-tec intake grate, pro-tec steering and nozzle. I assume it also has reeds to match and some exhaust work done even though it looks like regular Yamaha pipe. Its got a pretty mean grumble to it at low speeds....so maybe, or maybe not.

I haven't shimmed the ride plate yet because I had a guy (who claims he used to race a raider) tell me it wouldn't make a difference. He did say lean back and to right (intake) side to get the best numbers.

Are there any free last minute adjustments I can make? Also I am going to make the run in salt water will it be slower, faster or indifferent in salt vs. fresh water?

Lastly I've got $50 that it will break 60, bro-in-law says no way. Actually I am hoping for closer to 65, but I think that's pushing it.

+1
    You will break 60 for sure, I am predicting 63.7. Some say they are slower in salt water than they are in fresh. I don't know if I would lean back and to the right on a Raider or any hull for that matter.

We'll see...I will post pics of the GPS and maybe some superman video of me haulin arse down the intercoastal canal. It goes inland where I will be making this attempt so it should be calm like a river would be.

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    I have long arms so I put my knees on the back and my chest on the rear hand grab and trim it in between nutral and up. any further and the front starts to bounce so I get it to where it almost does but doesn't. Get lots of room and let it go right like all of them do. If you turn the handle to the left even a bit you will lose speed.

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattb2179 View Post
    Taking the ski down to my parent's bay house for the weekend and my bro-in-law is going to bring his portable GPS so we can finally figure out how fast it really goes.

I still don't know what all my ski has in it, but I do know it is a 95 raider 1100 with 46mm Mikuni carbs, Riva intake, Riva head, pro-tec intake grate, pro-tec steering and nozzle. I assume it also has reeds to match and some exhaust work done even though it looks like regular Yamaha pipe. Its got a pretty mean grumble to it at low speeds....so maybe, or maybe not.

I haven't shimmed the ride plate yet because I had a guy (who claims he used to race a raider) tell me it wouldn't make a difference. He did say lean back and to right (intake) side to get the best numbers.

Are there any free last minute adjustments I can make? Also I am going to make the run in salt water will it be slower, faster or indifferent in salt vs. fresh water?

Lastly I've got $50 that it will break 60, bro-in-law says no way. Actually I am hoping for closer to 65, but I think that's pushing it.
    also, if you are on water that is almost glass but not quite, than the protec intake you got will do good. If you are gonna test on pure flat glass (like I do on the mornings at spicer) than cut the bars out of the stock intake grate and shim it even so there are no bumps or anything. that is only if you are on complete glass.

The official speed from the GPS was a VERY depressing 58.3mph. It ran solid and felt strong, but just put down the number I thought it would. We made several long passes and it was very consistant between 58.0 and 58.3 every time.

I am beginning to wonder if a new prop is on order....It accelerates very hard and will definately snap your neck back which makes me think that maybe the original builder had set it up for some shorter track racing where acceleration would be more important than top end. Would the prop have some kind of marking on it so I could figure out what pitch it is?

The prop will definately have the pitch stamped on the hub, but it is possible that it may have been modified for the short track racing....

I`m following along with this post, because I recently purchased a Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS to see what my actual top speed is with my mods on my 1100, because my silly dream-O-meter reads 73mph.....haha! >>

Bullch1t !!

Quote Originally Posted by CatRunner View Post
    The prop will definately have the pitch stamped on the hub, but it is possible that it may have been modified for the short track racing....

I`m following along with this post, because I recently purchased a Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS to see what my actual top speed is with my mods on my 1100, because my silly dream-O-meter reads 73mph.....haha! >>

Bullch1t !!
    ha ha ha ha!!!! My dream-o-meter did hit a new personal best of 71 mph. I also have a golfball size chunk broken off of the back fin of my intake grate which may also be slowing me down a bit. Got a new R&D grate on the way.

This winter I am also planning on having the hull re-done and painting the whole ski. Smoothing out the bottom should help a little too.

Quote Originally Posted by CatRunner View Post

Bullch1t !!
    my dreamo read anywhere from 85-90 before i cut the cord-what were your gps #'s cat?

dang i just have a prop and intake grate. I got 56.2. The pitch can make a difference. The ride plate will also slow you down if you have a chunk missing out of it. I would replace the reeds back to stock. Get a tiny tach and see where your rpm's are. You probably have the intake grate for rough water hook up. That can slow you down a bit, and the extended nozzle. By the set-up it probably was raced in courses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information