State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar

DISREGARD - GTX Running Crappy - Photo of Plugs Attached....

******* DISREGARD....******
    Changed the plugs, drained the fuel tank and put in all new fuel with a fuel additive to remove carbon and deposits. RAN GREAT - 61mph across the lake.
    SO THANKS.....

Just put a new motor in the GTX, had the TPS adjusted and throttle adjusted.

But lake test was crappy. Seems to be missing alot, not running smoothly at all - seems to almost run WORSE after it's been running awhile.

Engine blew in late May/early June - so the ski has sat since then without running. Could the gas be an issue?? Going to drain it out and put in fresh gas. Also, just changed the plugs - this is what the ones I took out looked like. They have about 6 minutes of run time on the new motor. I didn't want to take a chance on running it for too long.

See photo....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 012.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	91181  
    Last edited by BartenderSmalley; 08-27-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Sammy, I can't see the insulator on the plug on the right. Or is it just brown? If it is dark brown, I would guess either an injector that's not closing or maybe a bad coil pack. Did the injectors come with the new engine? If they did, I would put 12 oz of Techron in the tank and fill with new fuel and see if that makes a difference. BTW, what happeded to the original engine? Do you have anyone close that you can borrow a coil pack from?... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Sammy, I can't see the insulator on the plug on the right. Or is it just brown? If it is dark brown, I would guess either an injector that's not closing or maybe a bad coil pack. Did the injectors come with the new engine? If they did, I would put 12 oz of Techron in the tank and fill with new fuel and see if that makes a difference. BTW, what happeded to the original engine? Do you have anyone close that you can borrow a coil pack from?... Ron

aaah, what's a coil pack?? LOL. Can't really answer you...you lost me at hello.

It wasn't brown, it was BLACK. I am going to watch all the plugs carefully over the first few hours of runtime to make sure that I don't have an issue with one of the cylinders.

It's the long black things you pull off the plugs to get to the plugs. They take the place of the ignition coil. My Saab has a thing called a DI Cassete, that has a total of 4 coil packs built into one big (and expensive) unit... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    It's the long black things you pull off the plugs to get to the plugs. They take the place of the ignition coil. My Saab has a thing called a DI Cassete, that has a total of 4 coil packs built into one big (and expensive) unit... Ron
    Excellent. I know what those are - didn't know they were coil packs....I thought the official name was "things that attach to the spark plugs"....

Tney are my originals and were working perfectly when the ski went down. All seems to be good now.

Call them "Expensive things that attach to the spark plugs...Ron

+1
    You Da man Sounds like ya got it going where ya riding on sat. LMK

Quote Originally Posted by Treemn View Post
    You Da man Sounds like ya got it going where ya riding on sat. LMK
    Keeping it local as of right now - at the end of Lake Worth Road is John Prince Park (right near Congress). We usually take the kids there and take them tubing, wake boarding, and just running around in general.

Didn't do the engine alignment - I know, supposed to do that when you pull the engine and put it back, but I just couldn't wait to lake test it. No vibrations, no rattling - a very small amount of water 'spitting' in around the carbon seal but it's a very small amount. Will align it before the next big ride. I have a new drive shaft to put in anyway, so I will do it then.

What about you? Might even try to get out Sunday or Monday as well.

Thread Information