Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Chasing acceleration????

Well, most of you know I am use to Seadoos. So I noticed some incorporate what we do to our seadoos on their yamahas. On my xpl, I was told not turn lightened flywheel and pto because of short term useage. Well I proved that theory wrong this summer. I put a lightened flywheel and pto on my ski, 72+ hours on the motor and lightened parts, no damage to couplers or pump. In fact, everything has been running good. I've also held the ski wide open for several miles at a time, another don't do with a seadoo, but I have done it without any complications. Even this past week, I rode it wide open for a long time, nothing wrong with it. Some guys even lighten their cranks. SO heres the question I wanted to ponder. I have a lightened flywheel on my ski at the moment (RAD). I am wondering, has anyone tried lightening the PTO on the yamaha1200? Also, what about lightening the crank on the 1200? Anyone try this?
    On the xpls, its instant acceleration.
    SHOOTER

The GPR's PTO isn't as heavy as a seadoo one. In fact all we have is the coupler.

+1
    hmmm, I don't know squat about the gpr, hahaha. Thats why I had asked. OKay, what about lighten up the crank as in a race crank?
    SHOOTER

You might find some weight saving in the crank but what ever you do, don't take anything out of the snout.
    They brake, you know.

The stock pipe is heavy as hell and might be a good place to look.
    However, the pipe seams to work quite well compared to what is out there from the aftermarket.

+1
    Yes, it is done. What are trying to accomplish?

Lighter recip weight for faster accel right? Yeah sure. It works great.

I've had 2 seperate machinist guys (gpr experience) show me examples.

It's nothing but money. I bet RAD can do this. Crank Works can do this. I know Ted Thompson, a local machinist can do this to the gpr crank. It really comes down to how much money you are willing to spend, and getting a flywheel that won't explode the hub, or itself.

Johnny5 had a very nice stock flywheel lightened on his CC gpr. I know Fercho was working on one too. Of course you know about the RAD flywheel.

+1
    I know it can be done, but has anyone tried it on their gpr and whats their experience with it?
    To me the GPR lacks the hole shot that the xpls have with a setup like mine. Its not that they are real bad, but 99.9% of my buddies ride xpls that are modified. I just want to at least maintain a good enough hole shot where I don't have to go chasing them down in a 1/4 mile race.
    So I guess, yes I am trying to find more acceleration out of the ski.
    SHOOTER

+1
    What's your setup again shooter?

Once a gpr is setup correctly, it's pretty impressive.

+1
    Shooter,
    Have you gotton the package yet ? Are you 1300 yet ? If not this should solve your problems.
    My Stage 2 GPR with VF2's and Jet Works mod is giving my XPL fits out of the hole and both are kneck and kneck on top end. Best case the XPL might get 2-3-boat lenghts.

As far as the light weight PTO on the XPL goes, Id have to disagree with you. Dean talked me out of running the one that I allready had and after some long thought, I realized that all the endurance racers that I know around here that were running the PTO where all having unexplained crank failures, all of them with rods through the cases. No water ingestion, no nthing to tell what was happening. I think that if you run mostly smooth water it would be ok, but if you see alot of chop like these endurance guys were then you may end up like them with an unexplainable rod tearing up cases.

Mark,
    You gonna be at the Havasu/Mark Hahn race in Feb ? If so I'll be up there pittin for some TX boys, would look forward to meeting you.

+1
    Mark,
    You gonna be at the Havasu/Mark Hahn race in Feb ? If so I'll be up there pittin for some TX boys, would look forward to meeting you.
    I'll be there. I will most likely be spectating or working on boats.

+1
    I ride smooth and rough water. Haven't had a single problem with the lightweight stuff. No crank problems, no seizures, no nothing. Its the best thing I have done to my ski. Jim Budnick runs the same setup as I do. Give it a try, I think you'll be surprised. Ask XPBri about it also, I got him hooked on it too.
    As far as my setup goes, here it is:
    2000 gpr 1200
    DF3 reeds spacer ala Fernando
    Advent Ignition system (setup for rec riding - whatever that means, the mechanic set it up for me for my style of riding)
    rad flywheel
    gas valves
    Cylinders had some port work done to it
    riva head that I got from Carl
    r&d ride plate
    r&d intake grate
    D plate
    Riva filters and rejet kit
    and I am running the stock prop, but just picked up a 14/20 concord that was repitched by Island Racing to a 13/19. He said its almost a 14/20 though.
    SHOOTER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information