Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new Gp1300r Advice needed!

I have just bought a new gp and need some advice on running it in as i been told so many ways i have already took it ou once and done a tank of fuel keeping it steady whilst still bliping the throttle now and then. Was your opions on runny them in main thing i was told is not to cane it full throtle for more than a couple of seconds if that!

benjuk, do not keep engine rpm`s constant to long, vary your rpm`s throughout your ride time.
    The first tank of fuel you do not want to run wot, should have been 3/4.
    The second tank you should be running in 5000 plus R`s and pushing it a bit more...
    Did you have extra oil in the first tank of fuel? wouldn`t hurt it any to also have extra oil in the second tank...

I beg to differ. The first tank of fuel, take it easy at first but then give it some SHORT WOT bursts to seat the rings in good. You have a short time window to get the rings seated in before the cylinders start to glaze over. The second tank of fuel, ride it like you stole it but I would still keep the WOT runs somewhat short. By the third tank of fuel, keep it pinned!

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    I beg to differ. The first tank of fuel, take it easy at first but then give it some SHORT WOT bursts to seat the rings in good. You have a short time window to get the rings seated in before the cylinders start to glaze over. The second tank of fuel, ride it like you stole it but I would still keep the WOT runs somewhat short. By the third tank of fuel, keep it pinned!
    +1 This is basically how I did mine and no problems, runs great

Moderated
    +3

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    hmm, thought that was what I was saying!?

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    hmm, thought that was what I was saying!?

Not really, you told him not to do any WOT runs on either tank. I think a few are needed from the get go, but most people will say to keep them brief.

My ski has been WFO from 15 minutes on. Warmed it up, checked for leaks, then proceeded to run 72.9 in the next few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by canadaxp View Post
    Not really, you told him not to do any WOT runs on either tank. I think a few are needed from the get go, but most people will say to keep them brief.

My ski has been WFO from 15 minutes on. Warmed it up, checked for leaks, then proceeded to run 72.9 in the next few minutes.
    actually just filling in between the line understanding that he already goes wot, but should not hold it there, few bursts, yes, my apologies if it were not understood this way.
    I broke my ski in pretty much the way everyone else does but without the ride it like you stole it part. First tank I had extra oil in the fuel didn`t go much over 5K rpm`s, but did numerous short acceleration bursts to seat the rings. i didn`t have to squeeze the trigger more than 3/4 to accomplish this, second tank still had some oil mix in it but weaker due to adding fuel so i just added a few ounces, ran ski harder and over 5-6k and did WOT burststo 6.5-7k a bit longer... Ski has ran excellent from there on out adn I have approx 36 hours on it...

I was just adding comment to not kill it on the first tank, thought you guns would read between the lines

+1
    I would like to share my break in procedure.Ive been doing the same thing since 01' with great results.

Run ski on trailer,in the water for 5 minutes,check for leaks etc...

Take seat off,take ski out and idle for a few more minutes.

Ease in and out of throttle,doing idle to 1/4 throttle bursts for 3-5 seconds for 15 minutes.

OPTION:On a ski i just built,i will check the torque on the head after the first heat cycle.I new bought ski should be ok though.Also,i use a small prop to take some load off the motor.

Come back in after the first 15 minutes and let the motor cool down for 15 minutes,still without the seat.

With seat back on,i will then go out for 20 minutes,doing idle to 1/4 bursts and a dozen 1/2 throttle bursts.Always keep the rpm's fluxuating and when you apply throttle or let off,always do it slow.Lift the seat a couple times to assure yourself of no leaks.

Come back in for a 15 minute cool down with the seat off.

Go out again for 20 minutes and go from 1/4 throttle to 1/2 throttle,always change the rpm,and do some 3/4 bursts,back down to idle,just mix it up.

Come back for a 15 minute cool down with seat off,check for loose hoses,leaks etc...

Ok,i will then go back out and keep the ski on plane,about 15mph or so,and do 1/4,1/2,and 3/4 bursts and some WOT runs about 3 seconds long.Again,ease into and out of the throttle.

Cool down time.Let it sit for 20 minutes without the seat.

After all this,i will ride the ski at all different rpm ranges for the first tank.I run pre-mix,Yama-lube,at 30:1 for the break in.I will go through 2-3 set of plugs in the first tank.

I will go from idle to 1/2 throttle,1/2 to 3/4 and 1/2 to full throttle bursts for 3-5 seconds in this first tank.The key is to get the cylinder temps up to seat everything in,without over-doing it.

On the second tank,i will go to 36:1 Amsoil.This is the time were i start to run it harder.I will still keep the rpm's up and down,but staying in the gas alot more.NOTE: I run Amsoil because i do NOT have the cat-con in the stinger anymore.Always run the Yama-lube if you still have your converter in the pipe!!!!

By the 3rd tank,or 4 hours roughly,i have the ski dialer in and a bigger prop in it.I have 40 something hours on my single piper and i still vary the throttle,just not as much.I stay out of the 4500-5200rpm range as much as i can.

Everyone has their own way of doing things and this is my way of doing it.Im only sharing my thoughts and opinions here.
    Last edited by WATER WOODY; 08-28-2008 at 04:51 PM.

excellent post Woodman!

I didn`t mention but:
    I did the 20/20/20 minute deal...

4500-5200??????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information