Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

R&D "X-tender" exhaust extender with O2 bung, what am I missing??

Does anyone else have one of these. What am I missing here?? This is marketed as the X-tender for the new 08 X-exhaust right? Not that it should matter if I have this installed right. Not much to it, no other way to install it, so what am I missing?? I should have seen this wouldn't clear the exhaust bell before I even tightened the clamps...

I drilled a whole through the bell, but it doesn't go deep enough into the exhaust flow, and that will give me false lean readings. People use this on their S2000's when they remove the cat converter and put a test pipe on. This tricks the sensor into reading leaner, by keeping it out of the direct exhaust flow, and keeps the ecu from throwing a catalytic converter code... Point being, not only did I have to drill my ex. manifold, its going to read lean, although I can tune that out.. Still, hard to be accurate within a 1/2 point.

Am I missing something, or was there Zero testing done on this product? Didn't come with any instructions... Any reason I can't cut the whole "bell" or end past the V-band clamp off??
    Last edited by boostaholic; 08-27-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Forgot pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0073.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	817.4 KB 
ID:	91220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0075.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	707.6 KB 
ID:	91221  

I asked a knowledgable member of this forum about this extender..w/o the O2 sensor though.

His recommendation....don't waste your money...just another chance for a leak.

Banned User
    +1
    Have you called R&D with your questions?? You do know they have a 30-day money back policy. Just call then and send it back if you not happy.

The way I understand it; this was developed so you could remove your supercharger without having to undo the exhaust and push the waterbox back each time. I'm told you can swap superchargers in 5 minutes. Not sure about the O2 bung....but if I were you, I'd call R&D.

Has no one else purchased one of these? How are you guys with X-ski's tapping for an 02 bung? Not much real estate there...

+1
    Dude, I just bought one... but have yet to receive it... was looking for a quick fix...but not sure how things are going to work out with this small problem.. will keep you posted.

I purchased one, but I was trying to fit it with a J-pipe, which definitely does not work; it makes the SC in the way of putting the J-pipe on straight. I exchanged it for the regular extender, which is a half inch thinner, but still had to shave a little off the SC housing to get it to fit. I was also dumbfounded by the manifold bell in the way of the bung. I figured that the "X" models must not have that bell, but wow, they do, and R&D is selling these anyway?!?

I needed it because my double thru-hull is not very flexible, and that would have added way too much to getting the SC out. I will say that I'm very happy with the regular extender; my SC comes out in minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X-extender1.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	91555  

I do agree about the S/C swap convenience. On a cold engine, 5 mins sounds about right. That O2 bung must have been a complete afterthought. I'm going to try that manifold with the bell cut off. If that isn't a permanent fix, I'll at least be able to get some true A/F readings. Then I can at least adjust my O2 sensor to account for the lean reading because of going through a hole in the bell.

Oh yeah, and they don't even supply you a 2nd V-band clamp?!?! wtf!?? Not everyone has extras of these sitting around like some of us do... That's another what? $50?

I hear ya; they call it an extender "kit"... what the hell is it that makes it a kit, if it's just the one piece, and it's a guarantee that you're going to need to buy another piece? I'm even stuck with a $50 '08 V-clamp, because I originally bought the other extender. (the newer V-clamp will not work in place of the older one without having a major exhaust leak).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information