Thread: Stripped Bolt

Stripped Bolt

I went to start the ski yesterday and the battery was dead so i pulled the seat off to get going on that and while looking around I found a bolt just sitting on the lower part of the pipe. Started looking to where it goes and found that it connects the Pipe to some sort of bracket. After looking at the bolt I found metal shavings in the threads which means it is stripped on the inside of the pipe. I have shook both the motor and the pipe to see if without this bolt there would be any movement of either and there is none so how important would you say it is to have this fixed? Easiest thing to do would probably be pull the pipe out and drill and tap for a larger bolt. I dunno kindov odd how this could have happened and not to sure what to do about it. Leave it or fix it?
    david

definitly fix it but I would get it Helacoiled but its yours even a TIMESERT is better that tapping it bigger

Mind explaining what the 2 are and how to go about doing this?
    thanks alot
    david

+1
    Helicoil or Recoil. M8x1.25, available at hardware stores, fastener stores, or on line.

http://www.newmantools.com/recoil1.htm

http://www.emhart.com/products/helic...FQJ-xgodBmeVbQ

+1
    I've been liking Recoil as they are cheaper (kind of a recurring theme with me ) and use standard drill sizes.

You can get either with the correct drill bit and insert tool. Basicly its a kit. You drill out the hole bigger and thread it to recieve an insert that makes the hole the right size for the original bolt and its stainless and stronger if done right

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    You can get either with the correct drill bit and insert tool. Basicly its a kit. You drill out the hole bigger and thread it to recieve an insert that makes the hole the right size for the original bolt and its stainless and stronger if done right
    All the Recoil kits I've seen don't come with a drill bit - probably how they can price them cheaper.

So, did the entire bolt work it's way out or did part of it break off into the pipe? I recently had to remove the part of that bolt that was broken off into the pipe. All you do is drill a pilot and use an extractor.

no the entire bolt worked its way out, dont know how, there was loctite on the bolt as well. I have never tried to take the bolt out either so I'm Innocent lol!

Have you tried to reinstall the bolt to verify that is it stripped? Worst case scenario is you have to buy another pipe. I have a one I'll sell. PM me. I assume this is for the 951 ski.

Thread Information