Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Well It Happened

I get home from a long day of working on cars and trucks all day. when I decided that a nice cruise in the boat would cool me off. So the wife and I uncover the boat and go out on a nice cruise around the lake. Then it happens. We were heading back home decided to do a couple fun turns and it went limp. Dam Dam Dam I start yell. The wife is like What the hell is the problem? So we are like 25 feet from our dock so I coast it in and park it. get my tools and start removing the SC. Well I get it out and sure enough the washers are no more. Now I am pissed I have only owned this boat for less that two weeks. I have the SC out and am ready to start ordering. So I need the new washers from 4-tecperformance.com and new needle bearings for the gear. I am thinking the shims would be a good idea too? I am really new to this SC rebuild,but feel confident in rebuilding it myself.
    Is there anything that I might need or need to know that you guys with the great wisdom of the 4-tech scic boats have?

Is it a simple rebuild the SC and slap it back in, What actually drives the SC? does the SC dive gear and stump go into the crankcase of this engine.
    What do I do about the old washers? Did they literally just wear to nothing or are they floating around and going to cause me more problems?

HELP!!!!!!!

+1
    I hate to say it but use the search key... you are now the proud owner of an engine that has cermaic washer scrapnel in your engine.

ok so I read about this emissions warranty. What is it. and does it cover a 2005 sportster? Will I get lucky or am I royaly screwed? How much is this going to cost? Can I go back to the dealer I bout it from considering it is less than 2 weeks old? Is there any legal issues that are in my favor?

I hate to say it but I see you didn't really heed all the advice a couple of weeks ago. Particularly:
    Quote Originally Posted by VX1

Your first mod will be to ensure you don't have the original ceramic clutch washer in your supercharger. See the links to the left for "SC Clutch Failure" and "SC Rebuild Service" for more info. The ceramic washers can destroy your boat, take this seriously.

I know you're in no mood for "I told you so", and I certainly don't mean it that way. I just see that you haven't read what's involved in the "SC Clutch Failure" link. Particularly, this part:
    You supercharger can let go whether it be a bearing failure or a ceramic washer failure. In this case, the parts list ALONE can be close to $2000 dollars. When these components fail, the ceramic pieces go through the motor and destroy your oil pumps, covers, you need a new rebuild kit, and in some cases your SC impeller gets destroyed as well as the housing. In addition, the motor needs to be removed to find all the pieces and properly clean out the oil passages and screens.
    If your motor is not properly repaired or cleaned out, you will slowly starve the motor’s internals of oil and risk throwing a rod through the side of your engine which is a disastrous repair bill.
    Right now, the supercharger is the least of your worries. It sucks, but there is life after this, if it is taken care of properly. Take comfort that there is all the information and knowledge in the world about it here; without this site, most people truly are up a creek without a paddle. Especially search the 4-tec performance section for the keywords "ceramic washer" and you'll have all the information you need.

Sorry, the emissions warranty won't cover it. Did you buy it from a dealer? Was it used and sold as-is? How much did you pay and how many hours does it have? You know, as many occurrences of this I've heard about, I've never heard how much it costs. Many new '07 Speedsters blew their washers last year, but the factory warranty covered it. If it makes you feel better, BRP doesn't usually pay the dealers enough money through the warranty to do the clean-out job right, so you might at least get it done right paying cash. If I had to guess, including the SC rebuild, I'd say $1800. That's still much, much cheaper than an engine, though.

I did buy it from a dealer. I even questioned the salesman about the washer failure issue and asked him if it should be taken care of. He said no worries your good for this season.
    It was from a local shop that doesn't really sell bombardier products. I paid $14000 as is. I know that it is a little much but he really talked up this boat and sold me on how flawless it was. A good salesman.
    So how big of a deal is it to yank the motor out of one of these boats and drop the oil pan and clean it all out ?

I am going back into the dealer anyways to speak with the owner about this. He was the one that mentioned this boat to my wife. She was the one who told me about it. I am soooo pissed right now I can feel my heart beating. I don't wanna be going through this after spending that kind of dough.

+1
    If they are being butt plugs about it... just say well I'll mention your fantastic dealership skills on green hulk... (mention how many members)... They should meet you at least half way...

VX1 I realise that it seams pretty stupid that you had already explained what I should have done. but that was the last time I had driven it until this happened today. I actually was going to pull the boat out of the water this weekend and pull the SC. But I wanted that one last ride. I just hope that the dealer I bought it from isn't a jerk about it. I don't even have the ownership or anything yet. They still have it all. Like I said it is only less than 2 weeks old to me. I didn't think that it would happen in the four times I have driven it.
    Is there any lawyers in here that may be able to help me out

The engine doesn't have an oil pan, the crankcase splits into two halves. This is not a weekend project...
    Here's an idea of some of the parts involved.dd to Personal BookmarksAdd to Shared
    http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/Products/Parts.htm

Quote Originally Posted by RockRubi View Post
    VX1 I realise that it seams pretty stupid that you had already explained what I should have done. but that was the last time I had driven it until this happened today. I actually was going to pull the boat out of the water this weekend and pull the SC. But I wanted that one last ride. I just hope that the dealer I bought it from isn't a jerk about it. I don't even have the ownership or anything yet. They still have it all. Like I said it is only less than 2 weeks old to me. I didn't think that it would happen in the four times I have driven it.
    Is there any lawyers in here that may be able to help me out
    Put the S/C back on the engine, take it to the dealer and say "I dont know what happened but it doesn't run and YOU still own it. I'd like my money returned immediately or I'll unleash the hounds from greenhulk.net upon you're sorry ass."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information