Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

now if we only had props this big

this thing is about 2/3rds as long as a foot ball field and well it got off the highway and held every body up for about 20 mins

its a wind turbine blade a pair of them actually ,

i wish they would of used a train to move this bad boy but i imagine there woulda been a turn that woulda held them up

getting back on the highway after findinging out it couldnt fit thru the intersection after this exit

it had a hydro-pivot axles on the end of the trailer and the trailer you could tell was custom made for these bad boys
    Last edited by Bone1050; 08-27-2008 at 09:34 PM.

+1
    Some of those parts, including the blades are made in WA.. See them heading down the freeway all the time.

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    They actually do move them by rail for most of the way. That particular one is to be installed just east of wichita. It moves by rail from WA to KS then ends up on a truck to finish out the journey.

Awesome sight to see. That much less oil, coal or nat. gas we'll need to burn. Wind is a natural resource too.

Quote Originally Posted by inothome View Post
    Awesome sight to see. That much less oil, coal or nat. gas we'll need to burn. Wind is a natural resource too.
    I TELL MY WIFE THIS ALL THE TIME

I STILL GET SLAPPED THOUGH

Quote Originally Posted by jonjonwells View Post
    They actually do move them by rail for most of the way. That particular one is to be installed just east of wichita. It moves by rail from WA to KS then ends up on a truck to finish out the journey.

this was headed east , but shit i wish i had the money to invest in one

I wonder what the pitch is on that thing It's GOT to be shallower than 13/19... not good for holeshot at all.

I'm always awestruck when I see those alongside the highways... they're HUGE! Even the medium-sized ones are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by 97sltx1050 View Post
    this was headed east , but shit i wish i had the money to invest in one
    Yea, it would be nice to have one of those beasts sitting in the back yard so I could send the electric company a bill for a change.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    Yea, it would be nice to have one of those beasts sitting in the back yard so I could send the electric company a bill for a change.
    Problem is most land owners where these are built don't get power from them, not even a savings on their electric bills. I know someone here in NY that owns 220 acres that are right next to a wind farm of about 35 windmills. They contacted him about using his land, but he would get nothing as far as energy or savings. Just an amount to lease the company his land.

These things are huge though. They put 8 of them right along lake Erie where I take my jet ski out. I got up close to them last time I was out, they're monstrous.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd View Post
    Problem is most land owners where these are built don't get power from them, not even a savings on their electric bills. I know someone here in NY that owns 220 acres that are right next to a wind farm of about 35 windmills. They contacted him about using his land, but he would get nothing as far as energy or savings. Just an amount to lease the company his land.

These things are huge though. They put 8 of them right along lake Erie where I take my jet ski out. I got up close to them last time I was out, they're monstrous.
    They are 300' tall and the blades are 92'. We have almost as many windmills here in west Texas as oil wells. The pitch is variable so that the generator maintains the same RPM weather the wind is 5 mph or 25 mph.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information