Bearing noise whirr/whine under load

well had the wr500 out sunday evening..engine started fine, ran quiet.. ran about an hour with 40 to 1 premix .. A noise started to develope under load.. starts around 2000 and never quits..this doesn't sound like a pump sort of noise .. meaning the sound doesn't changes while in or out of water..(I checked impeller clearance,its fine )... IMT,As a possible test pull the pump and run it, then slide the engine forward to take out the intermediate shaft,rebolt, then run... ( I am crossing fingers, its not a main bearing)

the noise sounds like a whine/whir that you would hear when an alternater bearing is going bad , the sound level consistantly rise's and falls with rpm ..

I did hear a tick kind of noise, while letting off throttle quickly,especially when i back slide the tail to submarine the hull (its a wr500 thing) It(the tick noise) may be there when I accelerate, but I cant hear it over the t/d water box...

(ok....I've just convinced myself to pull the cover and check the flywheel and keyway first)

.. Any thoughts ?? obsevations from past repairs? read thru search but no real luck on pinpointing an area... thanks..

Since a wr 500 motor is so easy to change (9 bolts,2 control cables, 2 fuel lines, 1 exhaust hose ,1 drain tube,2 battery cable's, and 2 electical connections) ,I pulled out the suspected bad one and installed a pre built motor.. It's quiet now.. tore the bad one down and it has a bad crank bearing... I'm just glad to have found this so easly...

The tick sound is prob deto. You may have a crank bearing starting to go and if the rods are gaining slack then you will start to experience detonation.
    I wouldnt ride it until you find the prob. JMO

mabey i should read the whole post before answering that........well at least you found it.....and my guess was right

the tick was a one time click, like a flywheel shifting makes .. there were no signs of detonation when i pulled the head , in fact it looked too good ,wetter than needed .. flame path looked nice but too dark... it's tore down and waiting for a good time to rebuild it.. thanks for the reply!!

Thread Information