Cool 66v Rebuild vs. ShortBlock plus a Bonus Get to Know 'Cube

Greetings All,

I'm hoping to find a little direction here as to what to do with a couple of 1200 66v Powered Machines that I have acquired. Both were the proverbial "They just cost too much to fix, but if you want them I'll give you a good deal..." types . Consequently, as a result of being an OCD collector of 'neat things', and a childhood desire to have a WaveRunner, I went for it.

Before carrying on too far, let me preface my following statements with this: I'm a 26 year old IT engineer who has a father who is very, very mechannically inclined, and as a result I have built more than my fair share of automotive engines, and done more repairs than most can boast of. So mechanically, I'm savvy and confident....Although these are not what I'm used to working with....at all.....very very very different from my previous experiences....

Ok, so now that we have that out of the way , back to my story...

As I was saying, I jumped on the deal to buy the pair of 2001 GP1200R and XLT with known problems for less than the trailer alone was worth... After picking them up from one of the local rip-off shops, I found both engines partially disassembled (heads and exhausts removed). On the GP, two cylinders are scarred beyond belief, and on the XLT, one cylinder is scarred and another is pitted as though it were hit with a 12 guage slug....

The engine with the scarred pistons/cylinders apparently had water in the bottom, that upon my futile attempt to spin it over to see if it was seized-up splashed me and my new t-shirt, creating this new Andy Warholish sensation of art... Not really, but the shirt does look somewhat neat with the spotting of oil, dirt, and gas...

The XLT engine with the pitted cylinder sounded solid and splashed a little oil from around piston 3 when it was spun...

My question from all of that rambilng is this....Should I bother with trying to rebuild the engines, or should I call SBT (or the like) and order new shortblocks? I'm new altogether to PWC, so while looking for an adventure, I'm also excited about getting on the water.

I've done a fair share of reading, and definitely am getting a d-plate, removing oil injection, and installing WaveEater clips ...but what is my best (read: most economical, while not difficult beyond belief ) option to make success of these babies? Thanks in advance for all your help, and sorry for the long post, just wanted to give all a chance to get to know me before offering your blessings or curses and help

Warmest Regards,
    Tha 'Cube
    "Insert Snazzy and Witty Personalized Signature Here"

P.S. I currently have the engine out of the GP1200R sitting on my garage floor waiting on my decision.

+1
    Welcome Cube

You could go the SBT route, but most here would cringe at the thought mainly because they use sleeves in their cylinders. Personally I would send the cylinders off to a company that does nicasil repair, send the cranks off for repair, rebuild the carbs while they are apart, drain and flush the fuel tanks, get yourself a bunch of OEM gaskets, and a repair manual. If you are mechanically inclined, you can do all the rebuilding yourself. There are a few good articles on here posted by members on carb overhauls, engine overhauls, and assorted engine repair procedures.

A few links

cyl repair or exchange http://www.mt-llc.com/Watercraft/watercraft.html

crankshaft work or exchange http://www.crankworks.com/

OEM parts http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche..../YamahaPWC.asp

Koolness!

Awesome! I thought about that myself. Any rough ideas on what I'm looking at in terms of cost comparison? I had no idea that SBT Used sleeves...I definitely want to stay as close to factory spec as possible. And I bought a manual before I knew I could download it here... . I'll do some looking at those links and see what I can find. I'm hoping try to start tearing it down tomorrow. (Yayy...greasy birthday present. Also, is there any benefit to putting a performance head set on or any disadvantage since I'm doing it myself? I would like to add anythihng that can help to curb future problems or costs if possible. Thanks for your speedy reply and offering of info.

Moderated
    what he said........

also i have a complete top end off a 2002 gpr if your interested although I am not 100% sure it will fit yours but i think it will , it needs new rings but other then that its pretty much good to go with power valves, wave eaters and head.

Smile

First off you got some answers that are half right,I believe in the xlt it has a sleeved engine and there is no problem in boring them, be sure to chamfer the ports thouroughly after boring if not your rings can hang up, on the gp it uses nikasil cylinders and you can have them replated.Ps.build them yourself,much more gratifying and you know its done right!!>Marvin

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    First off you got some answers that are half right,I believe in the xlt it has a sleeved engine and there is no problem in boring them, be sure to chamfer the ports thouroughly after boring if not your rings can hang up, on the gp it uses nikasil cylinders and you can have them replated.Ps.build them yourself,much more gratifying and you know its done right!!>Marvin
    an 01 XLT has nicasil

66V and 60T are nicasil (and 66E)

65U are sleeves

What WFO said, do it yourself and have a much better engine than an SBT.

if u don't want to mess with crank rebuilds Hotrods sells new ones for the same price it will cost u to have crank works do yours ( or close) and 98 was the last year of the sleeved xl 1200 and 99 for the gp 1200 so WFO is right on! not half

Thanks all, and A special thanks To Romo for his local and generous offer of assistance, I'll be leaning on all of you if I run into difficulty . I did take note of all the talk about the engine differences. Am I wrong that the engines are the same? I think I remember both being marked 66v on pistons. Thanks!

~ 'Cube

Thread Information