Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Installing Air Lift 1000 air bag kits

I am planning to purchase and install an air bag load support kit for my car, to help maintain a level ride when loaded up with gear and the trailer.

I would appreciate it if anyone can comment on the quality of the Air Lift Company products (particularly the Air Lift 1000 Rear; for Coil Spring), and which one of the listed online sources would be a good choice.

I am also considering this Wireless Air remote control air compressor, as the SmartAIR automatic system is not compatible with the 35PSI max Air Lift 1000 air bags.
    Last edited by K447; 01-16-2010 at 11:07 PM.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    A guy at work says JC Witney and Summit Racing has kits.
    That same guy says yes,both manufactures you listed are very good. He's into the Rock Crawlers and knows that stuff pretty good.
    Last edited by Keddano; 08-28-2008 at 04:09 PM.

+1

Autoanything is fine

I bought a set of these through Autoanything.com to put on the wife's van for the very purpose you describe. I did not get the onboard pump, but the bag kit alone was $75. The installation was pretty easy and WOW what a difference in the ride. IN fact, there was a HUGE difference in the unloaded ride with these installed.

They've been on for about year and seem to be working very well.

KJ

You have PM...

i bought a continuous 12 volt pump not too long ago.....................2 years................i think its a VI AIR or some word similiar to that. The brand is used for many off-road applications....................SCORE............. ..........
    BAJA.............500............................BA JA...........1000...............

mine can run continuously (constant duty) and put a large tire at its max.................its air cooled............................there are air pumps that'l fit your application........................

http://www.viaircorp.com/
    Last edited by la90043; 08-29-2008 at 12:36 AM.

+1
    I have ordered the Air Lift 1000 air bags locally, and will pick them up later today and install (if it isn't raining).

The Air Lift Wireless Air remote controlled compressor kit I have ordered from from JC Whitney, for 2/3 the local price. I can see and adjust the air bag pressure on the remote display while standing beside the car, and the wireless aspect means no extra wiring for switches. Actually very little wiring is needed.

I decided the SmartAIR automatic leveling system would involve too much cabling and installation effort under the car. Also, it is capable of blowing out the Air Lift 1000 air bags, which can only handle 25-35 PSI, not the full 100PSI the SmartAIR pump can deliver. If I put too much load in the rear, the SmartAIR pump would just keep pumping until the car was level, or the bags blow!

Thanks for your input and comments. Always good advice to be found around here!

I will update later with some install pics and notes. I am sure others will be interested in how to improve their vehicle's load handling.

+1
    When you drill the holes in the bottom of the spring perches for the tubing, be sure to chamfer the holes very well.

You're going to love the improvement to the unloaded ride these air bags give. I've often wondered why OEM's don't offer these.

Good luck.

KJ

K, any news on this, did you get your stuff and do the install?

+1
    I have air suspension in my 07 Avi, I love hearing the compressor run when I load the boat or ski's.
    The ride and leveling system in the AVI are awesome!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    K... did you get your stuff and do the install?
    I did install the Air Lift 1000 air bags in the rear springs of my 2005 Malibu Maxx.

So far, I am happy with the improvement. If I leave the full 25 PSI in the air bags, the rear rides slightly higher than level, but from inside the car, I cannot tell that the rear is anything but normal.

Ride motions are better, a little more damped going over bumps, with a more progressive feel under compression.

With the trailer hooked up, the rear of the car is just below level, much better than before. Rides nicely with the trailer.

It did take some fiddling with the air bags to get them to sit properly inside the coil springs. According to the Air Lift 1000 instructions, the air bags are inserted sideways into the springs on GM cars.

You need to position the bag so that the metal nipple sticks out between the coils, and will not get in the way of the coils as the springs compress. This took a few tries, until I was confident that the air bag nipples and air lines would not be damaged by suspension motion.

I also sleeved the air lines in some areas and made sure they would not be damaged by exhaust heat or road grit.

I have yet to install the remote controlled Wireless Air compressor. For the moment, the air bags have been filled with a standard tire air compressor, with the schrader valve inside the rear hatch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8300048.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	915.5 KB 
ID:	93276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8300050.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	506.6 KB 
ID:	93277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8300003.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	93278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8300018.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	93279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8300004.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	93280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8300046b.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	765.3 KB 
ID:	93281  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information