+1

Colorado lowers BUI limit

Colorado lowers legal limit for BUI Monday, 11 August 2008 10:26 Changes to Colorado’s law on boating under the influence recently went into effect, decreasing the legal limit for blood alcohol content and expanding the reach of the law to operators of any waterborne vessel.

Previously, the BUI law applied only to operators of motorboats or sailboats whose BAC was .10 or above. Now, the limit for BAC is .08, making it consistent with the legal limit for motor vehicle operators on Colorado roadways.

The new BUI law applies to any water vessel powered by motor, paddle or oar, including jet skis, kayaks, canoes, sailboats and rafts.

“Drinking alcohol on the water can be just as dangerous as on land,” said Rick Storm, chief of law enforcement for Colorado State Parks, in a statement. “The impacts of alcohol are naturally accelerated by marine factors, such as sun, wind, motion and spray, increasing the risk of accidents, capsizing or falling overboard,” he added.

Penalties for a BUI conviction have not changed. A vessel operator found to be under the influence of alcohol, drugs or controlled substances faces a misdemeanor charge with penalties of five days to one year in prison, fines between $200 and $1,000, loss of privilege to operate a vessel for three months and up to 96 hours of community service.

Colorado is among 38 states that have adopted a BAC limit of .08 for boating.

Wow, I couldn't imagine paddling a canoe with a bac of .09 and getting a $1000 ticket. I'm not condoning dirnking and boating but some of it is getting rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by gregt909 View Post
    Wow, I couldn't imagine paddling a canoe with a bac of .09 and getting a $1000 ticket. I'm not condoning dirnking and boating but some of it is getting rediculous.
    I was going to buy a kayak so I could float around and have a few! I think it's a little out of hand also

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    I was going to buy a kayak so I could float around and have a few! I think it's a little out of hand also
    I see that innertube with a cooler jammed in the middle doesn't qualify as a watercraft. So that is what you need Zmann

Done!

"powered by paddle or oar...rafts." WTF?????????????????

Legislation at its finest. Not condoning the drunk driver or boater...
    How long will it be before our governement decides its unsafe for us to use our own hot tubs while having some brewskis?
    It would be hard to imagine the danger one could pose while paddeling a raft... MAPDP
    Mothers Against People Drinking Period...because not enough people died so we could be free to make our own decisions in life.

Little knonw fact...the original income tax laws stated that income tax wouldn't be over 1%...look at how far something like 1% has come.

Thread Information