Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

starting problems '98 GP1200

NEED HELP >>> I tried to start my 98 gp1200 and the starter turned, but thats it. I fully charged the battery and still nothing. I pulled the starter and it seems to be fine, I jumped it and it turns strong. I am assuming that the gear on the starter is different than on a car (it doesnt pop out to engage the flywheel. correct?) What else could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by asia517 View Post
    NEED HELP >>> I tried to start my 98 gp1200 and the starter turned, but thats it. I fully charged the battery and still nothing. I pulled the starter and it seems to be fine, I jumped it and it turns strong. I am assuming that the gear on the starter is different than on a car (it doesnt pop out to engage the flywheel. correct?) What else could it be?
    When you say the starter turned, was the motor turning over as well (even though it obviously wasn't starting)? If so I would guess you just want to try and rule some things out: compression? spark? fuel?

Side topic: Did you jump it with jumper cables? (I've read that's not a good idea)

just the starter was turning, not the motor. also the teeth on the starter gear are in good condition.

Starter Bendix issue . it's behind the front cover and u need to pull the flywheel to get to it

where can I buy a new starter bendix? how much? and how will I know if that is the problem? also just so I know what your talking about the starter bendix is the gear that the starter turns right?
    Thanks

correct it is the gear that kicks out and engages the flywheel when the starter spins it ! they are about 80$ but sometimes you can clean your old one up . pull it out to verify if it is the issue and not some other rarity like a bad flywheel

ok, thanks for the help. one last thing can i get to it with the motor in the hull or should I pull it out. also is there any special puller for the flywheel or will and wheel/hub puller do?
    thanks for all your help

I think it's possible in the ski? and y style puller will work . get the puller nice and tight and tap it with something it should let go

ok sounds good I'll give it a try first thing in the morning and post with the results, thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information