Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 xpl running kinda slow. questions??

Ok today was my second day out on the ski and I can still only manage a 53.6 mph @ 6500 rpm's (on gps) . My first day out was the same thing and I took it home and was looking it over and thinking about changing my fuel lines when I noticed the throttle cable wasnt attached to the second carb (the one closest to the nose) the little set screw had came out. Well I thought that was the problem the first day out only netted a 53mph. So I bought a new set screw and got that hooked up but it made no difference out today!?! The ski runs great and has no issues! I starts and runs perfect. The only issue is I would think it should be a little close to 60 if not 60 mph. I have done a compression test on both cylinders and one was 131 and the second was 130. After I got back today I was looking at the motor and noticed the rave valves are screwed all the way down and from what I have read it looks like they are suppose to be flush? could that be a problem? Anyways what do you guys think My first steps should be to figuring out why its not running any faster? I am new to ski's and 2 strokes but not mechanics.

Thanks in advance.
    Ryan

Here is a picture of the rave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	174.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	91451  

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    ok first you are correct on the rave, but it's easy to test just pull the cover off the rave watch out for the spring and go for a test ride your low end will suck but you should get your top end back. if you do. try and adjust the raves up.

have you cleaned them?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboV6Sonoma View Post
    Ok today was my second day out on the ski and I can still only manage a 53.6 mph @ 6500 rpm's (on gps) . My first day out was the same thing and I took it home and was looking it over and thinking about changing my fuel lines when I noticed the throttle cable wasnt attached to the second carb (the one closest to the nose) the little set screw had came out. Well I thought that was the problem the first day out only netted a 53mph. So I bought a new set screw and got that hooked up but it made no difference out today!?! The ski runs great and has no issues! I starts and runs perfect. The only issue is I would think it should be a little close to 60 if not 60 mph. I have done a compression test on both cylinders and one was 131 and the second was 130. After I got back today I was looking at the motor and noticed the rave valves are screwed all the way down and from what I have read it looks like they are suppose to be flush? could that be a problem? Anyways what do you guys think My first steps should be to figuring out why its not running any faster? I am new to ski's and 2 strokes but not mechanics.

Thanks in advance.
    Ryan
    By talking about the set screw you are looking at the choke not the throttle. The carbs throttle plates are connected by the mag carb (which is connected to the throttle cable) by a simple linkage. The RAVE valves for the motor should be all the way down, the RAVE for the water injection should be flush.

Compression is hard to get on these motors, battery and starter condition make them questionable.

Check the head-pipe bolts to be sure you do not have a leak there, it will kill power and your crank.
    Last edited by 4ringturncoat; 08-28-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Check the water regulator on the water box. Those things give me fits and cause the lack of performance you are experiencing. You should be at 60-61 turning 6850-6900 rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat View Post
    By talking about the set screw you are looking at the choke not the throttle. The carbs throttle plates are connected by the mag carb (which is connected to the throttle cable) by a simple linkage. The RAVE valves for the motor should be all the way down, the RAVE for the water injection should be flush.

Compression is hard to get on these motors, battery and starter condition make them questionable.

Check the head-pipe bolts to be sure you do not have a leak there, it will kill power and your crank.
    So should both of these rave valves in this picture be down or flush? and why would someone screw them down if they are suppose to be flush what would the purpose be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	91565  

Quote Originally Posted by racer114 View Post
    Check the water regulator on the water box. Those things give me fits and cause the lack of performance you are experiencing. You should be at 60-61 turning 6850-6900 rpms.
    Not to sound stupid but like I said Im new to ski's and 2-strokes... So where is the water regulator and how do I check it?

Thanks.
    Ryan

Run them down. You can play with them a little to change how the lower end hits. All they really do is change the exhaust timing. You will have less bottom end if you run them flush. If they are working properly it won't matter for top end.

Take the caps off (be sure to hold onto the springs), then remove the single line going to the raves, you should be able to blow (with you mouth) on the line and see them move up. If they don't move they need to be rebuilt. If they move then I would check the water reg and make sure you do not have a leak at the headpipe.

The regulator is on top of the waterbox and looks just like the RAVE valve. I had trouble with one on a 2002 XPL I used to own and the performance was similar to what you are experiencing. I replaced the regulator and I was back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat View Post
    Run them down. You can play with them a little to change how the lower end hits. All they really do is change the exhaust timing. You will have less bottom end if you run them flush. If they are working properly it won't matter for top end.

Take the caps off (be sure to hold onto the springs), then remove the single line going to the raves, you should be able to blow (with you mouth) on the line and see them move up. If they don't move they need to be rebuilt. If they move then I would check the water reg and make sure you do not have a leak at the headpipe.
    Ok the valve on the right moves freely blowing and sucking and the one on the left moves but not like the other one and it get stuck about a 1/4 of the way out and wont go any further out. So how do I rebuild them? is there a rebuild kit to buy somewhere? dealer? internet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information