Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stiff Steering, what should I check? 07 FX HO

Just picked up a leftover 07 FX HO, 0.0 hours. I have not had it in the water yet. Was checking it out and noticed that the steering seems to be very stiff, almost like it is binding somewhere in the column or where the pads are around the steering. Any ideas what to check? If I remove the four screws in the padding with the padding come off? I'd like to get this solved before dropping it in the first time. I think I remember Shibby saying that the dealer is responsible for assembling this area when removing the unit from the crate, I guess it's possible they just slapped it together without much thought and it could be wrong. What is in there that could be causing this? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Possible, I would take it back to them and let them fix it.

Problem with taking it back to them is I drove over 4 hours to pick it up and after seeing their mechanic work on other skis I'm not sure I would want to take it back there. If I take the covers off will I be able to see anything or should I start looking at cable in the hull?

spray some silicone on the shaft or just keep turning it back and forth it may loosen up.

+1
    Take the cover off & check throttle cable & QSTS cables are routed correctly.....if they are not this can cause binding. If you dont have a manual post a pic of the routing.
    Also grease the steering cable & linkages both ends...most dealers do not do this!

volltrex, thanks for the response. I plan to pop the cover off this weekend and I'll snap a pic. I'm guessing you are correct as it almost "snaps" back towards center when turned all the way left. I'll post a pic when I have a minute to yank it off. Thanks again

I don't have my service manual yet, but it looks to me that something is mis-routed here. The large grouping of wire, which I believe comes from the start/stop housing is rubbing against the u-shaped cutout and cutting into the wire housing. It appears that maybe the throttle cable should be re-routed or something to make room for these wires. I am fairly confident that the binding is from this large grouping of wires. If anyone has a manual, can you tell me if this is route correctly and if not, how do I go about re-routing them. Thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bars 002.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	91597  

+1
    The start stop cable should'nt wrap around the throttle cable.....it should go the other side. I can't take a screen shot of the manual cause I only have the free version off Adobe reader, but I had a similar problem to you. At least your cables are in the right place.

Before

After

These are from my cruiser, which varys slightly........The throttle cable on yours must go over the top of the bars (looks like it does) where as the cruiser goes underneath.

Thanks for sharing the pictures Dave. It still seems as though if I untangle my wires that it will rub against that U-shaped cutout. I can't turn my bars more than about an inch at this point before it cuts into that wire. Am I going to have to remove all of the connections to untangle them? I guess that is the only thing to do? Was yours binding when it was arranged in the "before" pic? Hopefully once this is done they turn freely and it is not something else. I just want to get this thing in the water, atleast once before winter.

+1
    Every time I turned the bars full lock the start/stop & throttle cable were crunched!!!! I corrected this over a year ago........if I remember correctly you can undo the two machine screws in the pic & lift that cover up to reroute the cables. After pic is correct per the manual.....make sure you have enough slack on all the cables to turn the bars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information