Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery Question

Last weekend i got a 12v low batt on my ski, i want to make sure its fully charged for this weekend. My question is should i disconect the battery before charging or can i leave it all hooked up, i dont want to mess any of the electrical up on the ski.

Thanks

The best way is to disconnect it and charge it with a trickle charger, Don't use anything more than 2-amps... Ron

Ok thanks, and no probs with taking the battery off, like the computer loosing juice is ok?

Banned User
    You don't have to Disconnect the battery..Actually, we recommend that you don't.. Sea-doo's will forget who they are if let unhooked for long length of time.

I keep a 1.25v battery tender hooked to mine all the time without disconnecting from the boat, and have never had a problem. If you're using a newer quality charger, leave it connected, if it's older, or a Wal-mart cheapie, by all means, disconnect. I've heard concerns before about the computer being unplugged for too long and "forgetting" certain things.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    You don't have to Disconnect the battery..Actually, we recommend that you don't.. Sea-doo's will forget who they are if let unhooked for long length of time.

Alex, as long as hes only doing it to charge the battery for a day its not gonna matter..Its when people winterize them and leave them diconected for months then that may become an issue..

I myself work on doo's all day, and when you winterize a watercraft you disconnect the battery and leave it out of the machine for the winter. Leaving a battery disconnected from a computer on a pwc will not harm the computer or the machine, it is no different than a cell phone. You can remove the battery from your cell phone for as long as you want, as long as you don't turn the computer on you can't harm it. The pwc is no different, if there is no draw on the computer you can not harm it nor the memory of the machine. Whether a Doo, yamaha, kawi, or anything there isn't a problem disconnecting the battery to charge it. The only risk you run when you disconnect a battery from a pwc is killing the battery itself, but being that your disconnecting it to charge it you have nothing to worry about.

That all being said keep in mind that 12V low can also point to a few other possible problems with the machine. If you charging your battery doesn't help the issue, post another response to this and we can go from there.

-J

Put a volt meter across your battery with it connected to the ski and the ski running. You should see 13.5-13.8 volts. If you do not you probably have a bad regulator. $150.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Adda1982 View Post
    I myself work on doo's all day, and when you winterize a watercraft you disconnect the battery and leave it out of the machine for the winter. Leaving a battery disconnected from a computer on a pwc will not harm the computer or the machine, it is no different than a cell phone. You can remove the battery from your cell phone for as long as you want, as long as you don't turn the computer on you can't harm it. The pwc is no different, if there is no draw on the computer you can not harm it nor the memory of the machine. Whether a Doo, yamaha, kawi, or anything there isn't a problem disconnecting the battery to charge it. The only risk you run when you disconnect a battery from a pwc is killing the battery itself, but being that your disconnecting it to charge it you have nothing to worry about.

That all being said keep in mind that 12V low can also point to a few other possible problems with the machine. If you charging your battery doesn't help the issue, post another response to this and we can go from there.

-J

I beg to differ with you slightly..After a prolong period of time were the battery is disconnected ,some of the 4-tec skis loose the VTS...They have to take it back to the dealer and have it reprogrammed

I had a similar problem with the 12V low warning and found the battery was low so I added distilled water and did a trickle charge and have not had any issues since.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information