Remove Sc, install Turbo??

Hi guys. Nooby here. I am seriously thinking of purchasing a 2009 Yamaha cruiser FXHO or FXSHO. Would like to keep it as efficient as possible. If I go with the FXHO, can I put a turbo on it for hopefully some efficiency with the additional boost or go with the FXSHO and possibly remove the Sc and add the turbo? If I am incorrect about the efficiency of a turbo, just go ahead and let it be known. I am simply trying to learn as much as possible. Thank-You very much. Louie

Quote Originally Posted by realdeal View Post
    Hi guys. Nooby here. I am seriously thinking of purchasing a 2009 Yamaha cruiser FXHO or FXSHO. Would like to keep it as efficient as possible. If I go with the FXHO, can I put a turbo on it for hopefully some efficiency with the additional boost or go with the FXSHO and possibly remove the Sc and add the turbo? If I am incorrect about the efficiency of a turbo, just go ahead and let it be known. I am simply trying to learn as much as possible. Thank-You very much. Louie

fxho is non sc. if you were going to add one you might as well just buy a fxsho.

Now SuperCharged vers Turbo.... pretty much the same thing, end result is a forced air induction system. The diff is what turns the wheel that does the forcing of air. Supercharged units use a driect connection to spinn the wheel (ie cog or gear). Turbo units use exhaust gass to spin the wheel. Now there are all kinds of debates on the 2 different types as far as pro and cons. which ones is better over the next ect ect but thats up to you to chose. A supercharger is a better choice IMO in this aplication. Just do a internet search on sc vrs turbo youll find endless info.
    Good luck

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by amadus98 View Post
    fxho is non sc. if you were going to add one you might as well just buy a fxsho.

Now SuperCharged vers Turbo.... pretty much the same thing, end result is a forced air induction system. The diff is what turns the wheel that does the forcing of air. Supercharged units use a driect connection to spinn the wheel (ie cog or gear). Turbo units use exhaust gass to spin the wheel. Now there are all kinds of debates on the 2 different types as far as pro and cons. which ones is better over the next ect ect but thats up to you to chose. A supercharger is a better choice IMO in this aplication. Just do a internet search on sc vrs turbo youll find endless info.
    Good luck
    SC type is another thing too. Roots will make boost faster. They are all totally different in nature and boost creation.

Too dam bad Kenne Bell doesnt make a blower for skis!!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    SC type is another thing too. Roots will make boost faster. They are all totally different in nature and boost creation.

Too dam bad Kenne Bell doesnt make a blower for skis!!!!!!
    Roots make boost faster, but dont they flatten out at the top end???Just asking, I thought the Kawi guys complained about that???

jIm

The FXHO is not a good canidate for pressurizing as it is a high compression NA motor, go with the SHO. Putting a turbo on a SHO is uncharted territory but I'm sure there are awesome potential gains if you're willing to put in the R&D and $$$. The simpler way to go is to just add one of the new SC wheels being sold to the SHO along with Riva's larger intercooler, ECU and a few more goodies. The SHO motor is potentially a monster with those 1800cc's.

It's to much work to take NA ski and add a turbo or SC. Just the electrical and fuel metering headache would be enough to discourage you. The factories spend huge $$$ to develope this $h!t. Just buy a ski that already has a power adder and do a few easy mods. That way you'll be able to spend mre time riding! In my opinion switdhing from a SC to a turbo is way to much work. If you want the fastest ski in the world, then it might be an option. But if you just want to do 75 you don't need to switch to a turbo. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by andygpr748 View Post
    It's to much work to take NA ski and add a turbo or SC. Just the electrical and fuel metering headache would be enough to discourage you. The factories spend huge $$$ to develope this $h!t. Just buy a ski that already has a power adder and do a few easy mods. That way you'll be able to spend mre time riding! In my opinion switdhing from a SC to a turbo is way to much work. If you want the fastest ski in the world, then it might be an option. But if you just want to do 75 you don't need to switch to a turbo. JMO
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack View Post
    Roots make boost faster, but dont they flatten out at the top end???Just asking, I thought the Kawi guys complained about that???

jIm
    Exactlly. Centri wont quite have the low end of a roots. But it will have more grunt up top. Their characteristics are just so much different. Between a centri, roots (lysholm) and turbo.

A roots and a Lysholm type blower are 2 different things. The all around best setup would depend ohn what you wanted to do with your ski overall. The most power is definitely going to come from a turbo, but it could come at the cost of alot of lag if you went too big. The SC, positive displacement or centri, will always have faster boost hit times even if it is just a little bit faster. A properly sized turbo, both in the compressor side and in the A/R, would be ideal. You could make way more power, get better economy and mave minimum lag time.
    Last edited by Hardcore; 08-30-2008 at 11:44 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    A roots and a Lysholm type blower are 2 different things. The all around best setup would depend ohn what you wanted to do with your ski overall. The most power is definitely going to come from a turbo, but it could come at the cost of alot of lag if you went too big. The SC, roots or centri, will always have faster boost hit times even if it is just a little bit faster. A properly sized turbo, both in the compressor side and in the A/R, would be ideal. You could make way more power, get better economy and mave minimum lag time.
    I know........ Radix vs Whipple.

Thread Information