Rectifier Wires Getting Hot

Just Replaced Both Rectifiers....the 3 Yellow Wires Out From The Rectifier Past The Connector Are Getting Real Hot Real Quick...
    Have Done All Ohm / Ac Tests From The Stator...all Is Good....

What Can The Problem Be......help Needed Quickly

Put a volt meter between the battery with the ski running and see if you are getting 13.5-13.8 volts, if not something is amis. I'm sure the rectifier gets hot doing it's job...I just have not checked the leads while running.

All Good On Voltage.....3 Yellow Wire After Connector..getting Real Hot ...very Hot...too Hot...on Both Motors.....these 3 Wire Go To Another Connector....( Stator ) That Is @ Front Of Motor....

I wish I had an answer for you...but I don't. Maybe someone with experience with the rectifiers will speak up... I bet Shibby would know?

My wire that came from the stator to the rectifier was brown like if they over heat i see that at 1 storage in05 but just on the hardness side not the stator side so for me it look like a bad connector so i cut it weld the wire put heatshrink tube and never ad any trouble

What condition are the wires in. Are they green? do they look brittle or corroded at all?
    From my understanding when the wires are getting hot it is do to a higher than normal current going through the wires. This is usually caused by a low ressistance in the wire or circuit allowing a higher curent to run through it. Usually any of the conditions above will allow this to happen.
    Maybe find out how many amps are suppost to run through the wires that are getting hot and use a multimeter with an amp clamp to check the current flow. Make sure you use an amp clamp because if you just use the multimeter amp setting with the leads you will blow the internal fuse. This is assuming that the current is higher than the tollerance of the meter. The stator might be faulty as well . It can still have 13+ volts that looks good in the numbers but might have really high amperage.
    Hope this might help
    Last edited by RockRubi; 08-31-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RockRubi View Post
    What condition are the wires in. Are they green? do they look brittle or corroded at all?
    From my understanding when the wires are getting hot it is do to a higher than normal current going through the wires. This is usually caused by a low ressistance in the wire or circuit allowing a higher curent to run through it. Usually any of the conditions above will allow this to happen.
    Maybe find out how many amps are suppost to run through the wires that are getting hot and use a multimeter with an amp clamp to check the current flow. Make sure you use an amp clamp because if you just use the multimeter amp setting with the leads you will blow the internal fuse. This is assuming that the current is higher than the tollerance of the meter. The stator might be faulty as well . It can still have 13+ volts that looks good in the numbers but might have really high amperage.
    Hope this might help
    +1, looks like it's too much amperage for the wires. I hooked up some lights on my tower and naturally they didn't come with any instructions so we just hooked them up and tested them out. The wires were getting real hot pretty fast, so I searched around and eventually found some lights that were the same just from a different company. Unbelievably to me we had to use 8ga. wires for the lights.

Anyway, point is, it's pulling too much juice through too small of a wire. Of course in this case the wiring should be the correct size, so sounds like a problem with the charging system.

Thank You Everybody For Your Input, But I Have Taken Boat Back To The Seadoo Dealer (180 Miles ).....and Told Them To Call Me When It Is Fixed...

Thread Information