Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sawtooth763

2004 MSX 110 Overheating problems

Looking for help in trying to determine why my ski is overheating.
    The internal cooling system has antifreeze flowing through it but need to check and make sure all the air is out of the system. Wonder if that could be it.
    All hoses and clamps are tight, nothing is leaking.
    The fresh water circuit seams to be ok, not cloged when flushing.
    Am planing to test it in the water on the trailer. If it still over heats them am going to remove and check the thermostat.
    Was wondering if it might be a sensor, or in the electronics. If anyone can let me know where the sensors are, that would be great.

Thanks
    Last edited by MarkMikenis; 09-03-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: New findings

NooB
    have you checked the theromstat?

Sawtooth763

MSX 110 Overheating

Thanks, that's what I was going to check next.

Question:
    If the Expansion Tank is too full will this cause it to overheat.

Mine was overflowing. I've now brought it to the proper level and was going to take it out to see what happens before I try the thermostat.

thanks

Mark

According to the owner's manual (page 32):

"A clogged intake and/or impeller can cause engine overheating and/or damage to the jet pump and impeller parts. Always keep the intake and/or impeller free of debris and weeds."

I have picked up weeds around the intake, and have the engine temp light come on. I have also had this light come on, after beaching the ski. Once I cleared the intake grate, the light would go off.

There is a water supply hose that runs to the exhaust manifold. You should remove that hose, and check the barbed fitting for any obstruction.

The owner's manual lists the following possible reasons for engine overheating (page 99):

Clogged jet pump intake
    Use of non-recommended fuel or oil
    Sand or debris in cooling system
    Plugged cooling system
    Clogged exhaust pipe orifice fitting

Sawtooth763
    Had ski out today for about an hour. Ran well at WOT but a couple of times the overheat indicator anf red light came on then went off after a short while. The coolant reserve tank was full.

Was hoping someone might know why the indicators keep comming on. Does anyone think it might be a touchy sensor.

Where are the high temp sensors located.

thanks

Sawtooth763

2004 MSX 110 high temp indicator light

Cancel this message

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMikenis View Post
    Cancel this message
    Canceled?

Why? Did you find the problem?

Sawtooth763
    I'm sorry, being new to this forum I somehow got caught in posting two of the same messages, that's why I tried to cancel one of them.

I'm 95% sure I fixed the overheating problem. There was a loose hose clamp on one of the internal coolant hoses that I found when performing a pressure test. Found it by hearing / seeing the escape of bubbles.

But now had it out yesterday, it ran great (none of the anit-freeze ran out), but the high temp light & indicater turned on a couple of times then went off after a few minutes after I went from WOT to just ideling around. Now I'm wondering if I have a touchy sensor. Looking in the service manual it does not show where this is located so that I can see if it is visualy OK. This ski is new to me, the owner, my brother-in-law says he started having problems last summer when the coolant bottle ran bone dry and then the motor shut off automatically due to it being overheated.

I think I've fixed that problem but would like to fix the rest. It's a great michine with only 58 hrs on it so I'ld like to get it back to a "new" condition.

Thanks for your help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMikenis View Post
    ...This ski is new to me, the owner, my brother-in-law says he started having problems last summer when the coolant bottle ran bone dry and then the motor shut off automatically due to it being overheated.
    Mark, welcome to the Polaris GreenHulk forum!

I am not a Weber engine expert, so I could not say whether the engine temp sensor(s) could be damaged by running the engine without coolant, or whether other damage may have occurred.

For yourself, and other new members, this is an example of why it is important to always include ALL the available information regarding the history of the machine, not just the current symptoms.

A previous serious overheat condition is just the sort of thing that can affect the efficient diagnosis of a problem.

Do you have any additional information regarding the history or current condition of the engine?

Sawtooth763

MSX 110 Overheat

The owner tells me that the ski was brought in for service (oil change) at a mid western dealer and somehow accidently they ran it with the coolant cap off causing the engine to over heat, warping the head and during this issue oil got into the cooling system. The dealer resurfaced the head and installed a new head gasket. From then on, (I'm told) the ski has never ran the same. Then their son took it out and the overheat light and indicator truned on followed by the engin automatically shutting off.

I offered to take a look at it and after a pressure test I found a loose hose clamp where the coolant was leaking from. Tighten it up, filled the reserve (at 1st too high, now it is at the right level) took it out and it ran great, (a good 45 minutes, at times at WOT) but now the high temp light & indicator went on for a few minutes, then went off after ideling around for a few minutes. This happened twice. Coolant is still at the same level and ski still runs great. Which now leads me to perhaps it's a sensor.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I am not a Weber engine expert, so I could not say whether the engine temp sensor(s) could be damaged by running the engine without coolant, or whether other damage may have occurred.

For yourself, and other new members, this is an example of why it is important to always include ALL the available information regarding the history of the machine, not just the current symptoms.

A previous serious overheat condition is just the sort of thing that can affect the efficient diagnosis of a problem.

Do you have any additional information regarding the history or current condition of the engine?[/quote]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information