can't leave nothin' alone! scrappy's Avatar

'95 sl750 rpm issues

My buddy has an sl 750, it ran great at the beginning of the summer now it won't rev past 4200 give-or take a few.
    at first the coupler between the engine and airbox was blown and we replaced that with no change in rpms(but it DOES run better to 4200!)
    Is this thing supposed to have the rpm safety limiter?
    the fuel sender was disconnected so we reconnected it and it flashed the led and said FUEL in the MFD so We disconnected it again with no change.
    I have also disconnected the oil sensor and the temp sensor trying to rule them out with no change. when everything is disconnected the led flashes on start and goes out. what else can make it rpm limit @ 4200?
    THere is no grey wire in the cdi and according to the wiring diagram there is no limiter on a '95 sl 750 but why does the mfd flash fuel when the tank sending unit is hooked up?
    The spark plugs are wet and dark grey so it is getting fuel.
    will it limit @ 4200 if it is too rich?
    on the hose it WILL hit 6700 rpms.
    the thermostat/ pop off valve is MIA and the parts are on order but will that cause the limit?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    No grey wire on CDI = no RPM limiter.

The MFD will flash 'low fuel' if the fuel sender is hooked up, and signaling a low fuel level in the tank. The MFD does this regardless of whether there is an RPM limit function on the CDI. Same for Low Oil and Overheat.

If you have more than 1/4 tank of gasoline, and connecting the fuel sender still shows low fuel, then the float inside the fuel tank may not be floating anymore. You can buy replacement floats.

Have you checked engine compression?
    Crank index?

can't leave nothin' alone! scrappy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    No grey wire on CDI = no RPM limiter.

The MFD will flash 'low fuel' if the fuel sender is hooked up, and signaling a low fuel level in the tank. The MFD does this regardless of whether there is an RPM limit function on the CDI. Same for Low Oil and Overheat.

If you have more than 1/4 tank of gasoline, and connecting the fuel sender still shows low fuel, then the float inside the fuel tank may not be floating anymore. You can buy replacement floats.

Have you checked engine compression?
    Crank index?
    Thanks for the reply!

kinda figured it didn't have a rpm limiter but I think it is kinda strange it does stop accelerating @ 4200 like it did.

I don't have a compression tester but I am being told it has been rebuilt recently? judging by the condition I can't verify if it was done correctly or thrown together?
    how do I check the index?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
    ...I don't have a compression tester but I am being told it has been rebuilt recently?
    Compression testers are not expensive, and worht having.
    judging by the condition I can't verify if it was done correctly or thrown together?

how do I check the index?
    Crank Index checking is covered by the 1992-1998 Service Manual, and in the Polaris Tech and FAQ sections.

Search will find it for you.

Have you confirmed that fuel delivery is 100% good. Carbs are clean, fuel pump is upgraded, fuel lines are new (including inside the fuel tank), fuel filters changed, fuel selector cleaned and lubed?

+1
    just for the hell of it pull the plug wires one at a time and see if their is a drop in RPMs. My Sl750 lost spark on one cylinder, ran great on the hose but stuck at 4000 R's under load. ended up being a bad resistor cap and fouled plug.

What do the plugs look like? It may be a Reed pedal slightly open or worn. I bet the ski sounds good out of the water but doesnt perform under load. If it is a reed you might find a unusually clean plug at one cylinder or you can simply expose the carbs and fire it up, a malfuntioning reed will throw tiny drops of fuel out the top of the carb when given throttle and maybe a lil bit of smoke.

Thread Information