Thread: Ridge Reamer

+1

Ridge Reamer

Anyone local have a ridge reamer I could borrow for a few days??
    I need one that will cover from about 3" to 3.5"...
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Anyone local have a ridge reamer I could borrow for a few days??
    I need one that will cover from about 3" to 3.5"...
    Doug
    WTF is a ridge reamer?

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    auto zone loans them out for a 30 deposit. but, i tried rosses trick and it.s a majot pain in the ass. really diddnt work... at least with the autozone one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    auto zone loans them out for a 30 deposit. but, i tried rosses trick and it.s a majot pain in the ass. really diddnt work... at least with the autozone one.
    Hey Mike, so the ridge reamer doesn't cut it easily or it just doesn't work making the nozzle bigger? I'm curious to hear how it went for you. You can PM me if you want... Thanks for the help

Marc, Here is a blurb I pulled from another site as to the "real" function of a ridge reamer.. A few guys around here are trying them to bore out the exit nozzle a bit to bring the revs up..

>>>"Actual function of the ridge reamer may not be apparent at first glance, but it's easy to figure out when you have one in hand. First rotate the engine crankshaft to lower the piston near the bottom of stroke. Insert the ridge reamer tool into the top of the cylinder bore, and adjust the cutter(s) to come into contact with the ridge. Oil the cutters and rotate the tool with a hand wrench to cut away the ridge as you progressively advance the cutter(s). When the entire ridge has been cut away the cylinder bore will be flush all the way up. Then you remove the tool, and you can easily push the piston with rings out the top of the bore with out damaging the ring grooves in the piston. "<<<

You cant make this shit up!!! 79malibu's Avatar
    thats why I like diesels they only have a carbon ridge that we cut out with a razor blade or sometimes I just force the piston out with a tool I made since its going back to warranty

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Kinda hard to explain, but basically, the one I borrowed from auto zone has a lower half that expands to fit the cylinder. then the cutter only works on the last 1/2 inch or so. on the nozzle, wher the thing needs to expand is cone shaped, so good luck getting it to fit tight and straight, and on top of that, the length of cut needed to to a nozzle is about 1". I'm going to do mine on the mill, but if I didn't have a mill, i would try a flapper sanding drum.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    Kinda hard to explain, but basically, the one I borrowed from auto zone has a lower half that expands to fit the cylinder. then the cutter only works on the last 1/2 inch or so. on the nozzle, wher the thing needs to expand is cone shaped, so good luck getting it to fit tight and straight, and on top of that, the length of cut needed to to a nozzle is about 1". I'm going to do mine on the mill, but if I didn't have a mill, i would try a flapper sanding drum.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably try the flapper then..

Thread Information