Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please Help...Check Engine Light (2001 TXi) --> I checked previous posts :(

Hi guys. I tried to check as many posts as i can and still have problems. Here is what happened. I was out Friday and hit a wave nothing major. Engine sputtered and check engine light came on. I checked various posts and did the following. Changed sparked plugs and the TPS. Still same issues. I also checked all the intakes and blades and everything looks good. Any other thoughts? It starts and runs about 30 seconds and dies. Sounds really rough. Any help is much appreciated. THis is on a 2001 Polaris Virage TXi

Thanks. Bryan

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

I presume you have downloaded the 2002 Service Manual.

Check for fuel pressure at the schrader valve.

My guess is that the fuel pressure regulator (located inside the fuel pump, which is inside the fuel tank) has fallen off. Without it, you will have fuel flowing through the injectors, but no real fuel pressure.

The fuel pressure regulator is the brass thing on a short piece of black tubing inside the top of the fuel pump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180053.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	424.5 KB 
ID:	91758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180050b.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	636.0 KB 
ID:	91759  

I'll check it out...

Thanks for the post....do you think this would cause the check engine light to come on? How hard is it to get to the part? If it is an easy check i'll look at it today.

Tried to check fuel pressure...

Is there a trick to this? I bought a 100 PSI gauge. Connected it fine to schrader valve. Started the ski but no pressure. I let teh ski run for less than 10 seconds. Any suggestions?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadb View Post
    Is there a trick to this? I bought a 100 PSI gauge. Connected it fine to schrader valve.
    Started the ski but no pressure.
    I let the ski run for less than 10 seconds...
    Seems like no fuel pressure.

Put a flat clamp on the fuel return line, between the schrader valve tee and the fuel tank. Choose a clamp that won't damage or cut the hose. Apply medium clamping pressure to partially restrict fuel flow through the hose.

Start the engine, and increase clamping pressure on the hose, while watching your fuel pressure gauge. I suspect you will see the pressure rise as the hose clamping gets tighter, and the engine will run smoothly as pressure gets to about 20PSI.

If clamping the fuel return hose fixes the fuel pressure problem, and makes the engine run properly, then you need to remove the fuel pump, and re-attach the pressure regulator inside, which I suspect has dropped into the bottom of the fuel pump body.

K447,

Just curious...when this 'falls' off, where does it go? Somewhere in the bottom of the tank?

And how do you retrieve it? Any steel components that a magnet will grab?

Consider this a free bump...!

Yea i was sort of wondering that as well. I tried again today and pinched off the return valve and still no pressure. I let the ski run about 10 seconds before shutting down. I must be doing something wrong. It looks like a lot of work to get to the fuel pump. I guess i'll have to remove the everything up front (Fuel line, oil line, etc...) and pull the tank out in order to get to the fuel pump. Correct? Any other easier suggestions?

+1
    Yea i was sort of wondering that as well.

I tried again today and pinched off the return valve and still no pressure. I let the ski run about 10 seconds before shutting down.

I must be doing something wrong.

It looks like a lot of work to get to the fuel pump. I guess I'll have to remove the everything up front (Fuel line, oil line, etc...) and pull the tank out in order to get to the fuel pump. Correct?
    Any other easier suggestions?
    Clamping the fuel line did not boost fuel pressure? Are you reading any pressure on the gauge?

Make sure the pressure gauge connection to the schrader valve is actually depressing the pin in the valve.

Try disconnecting the return fuel line from the tank, and capping it. Make sure you have capped the return line, not the fuel supply line. You can cap it at the fuel tank side of the schrader valve tee, or at the tank.

Then start the engine, and check for pressure. Still no pressure, then the fuel pump has gone bad, or the fuel pump is not getting power.

To check for power, find the brown wire for the fuel pump, tap into it and connect it to engine ground. You should be able to hear the fuel pump run (since the engine is not running). If it is running, and still no pressure, then the pump is bad.

To get the fuel pump out, you will need to shift the tank forward. I am not sure if the oil line needs to be disconnected from the oil tank.

The electrical connector for the fuel pump has a locking tab. Slide the tab sideways, then you can unplug the connector.

Once the fuel tank is forward, then you can get the fuel pump out.

It is a big opening in the top of the tank, so you can reach in if needed to extract any lost parts.

Be careful when working with an open fuel tank!

If you see any debris or dirt inside the tank, then it should be drained and cleaned.

Yea i'm not getting any pressure reading. So i'll check the connection at the valve. When i have just the adapter connected gas is leaking out so i think i'm getting a good connection. When would i be able to hear the fuel pump turn on? As part of the starting process or simply when the lanyard is connecting? I appreciate the help. No one (I mean no one) services these in my area so i'm hoping to get good enough i can keep these running.

+1
    Yea I'm not getting any pressure reading. So I'll check the connection at the valve. When i have just the adapter connected gas is leaking out so i think I'm getting a good connection.
    Leaking out, or just seeping a little?

When would i be able to hear the fuel pump turn on?
    As part of the starting process or simply when the lanyard is connecting? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ...To check for power, find the brown wire for the fuel pump, tap into it and connect it to engine ground. You should be able to hear the fuel pump run (since the engine is not running). If it is running, and still no pressure, then the pump is bad...
    The engine makes so much noise, you really cannot hear the electric fuel pump.

The fuel pump normally only starts running when the engine is rotating (cranking or running).

Grounding the Brown wire from the fuel pump will start the pump running, without the engine noise.

Pump running, and no pressure (even with the return hose clamped or capped off), means the fuel pump needs to come out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information