Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 94 750 SL would not shut off!!! HELP!!!

I just put a new motor in broke it in yesterday everything went great no problems what so ever. Today I started it up on the trailer to get ready for tomorrow starts right up then starts revving high and would not shut off I pulled the saftey hit the stop button unhooked the sparkplug wires still would not shut off So I turned off the fuel quick unscrewed the water seperator filter and then unhooked the batt. Then It shut off I think it just ran out of gas but what the F why did it do that? I almost smoked my new motor shit got hot. All I wanted to do was quick start it up and then shut her down the only thing I can think of is maybe the batt. is low and nothing registered but how did it run with out plug wires . I did see since I put a new fuse in the mfd it never shuts off so that could be draining the batt. so now I will unhook the mfd. Yesterday I charged the batt. for a few hours before I took it out WOW this sucks its never did this before HELP me please I want my wife to ride it for the first time tomorrow but I don't want the thing to take her for a death ride!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If it happens again, don't mess with the battery, fuel separator, or even the plug wires. Dangerous combination, fuel plus battery cable sparks!

Just turn off the fuel selector, and apply full choke. Choked, it should have trouble developing RPM, and should die fairly quickly.

Sounds like it was dieseling from hot spark plug tips.

What spark plugs do you have in it?

Did it have fogging oil in it?

Did you leave it sitting with the fuel selector turn on? Fuel may have accumulated inside the engine if the carbs were dripping gas while it was sitting.

Is the throttle cable properly adjusted to allow the throttle plates to fully close?

The fuel was left on my bad their is no choke anymore it has the primer kit in it. the plugs are bpr8es thats what it calls for I belive I have been charging the batt. and I tried starting it and it ran normal pull the kill switch as soon as it started and it shut off. Man I was sick seeing it run like that I would die if somthing happen to the new motor. I checked the idle cable it was good the carb shuts all the way, could this have been a elect. problem? All the elect. parts were always good. I did a comp. check to make sure no damage was done all was good thank god!! Thank you in advance for all the help
    OH yeah no , no fogging oil because it was only going to sit for a day before its gets to go out again. Should I fog it after everythime time I ride no matter what?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like an air leak to me
    mattman

All new gaskets everything torked to specs if it was a air leak ware would an air leak like that cause this to happen?

+1
    yup

pressure test the engine

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It does sound like a "death rev" from an air leak.

Leaks can occur at crank seals, engine case seam, intake manifold, carburetor, head or cyl base gaskets.

Next time that happens, prime the hell out of it until it flood.

Don't let the wife take it out until you have this issue solved. She may panic and freeze, where as you will know to rect quickly.

+1
    Yeah, if that happens again......

Give it full throttle, apply choke, or prime if a primer is installed.

Never had to do it with a Polaris yet, but many times it happend with sea-doos and yamahas, pulling the tether and giving it full throttle with choke always took care of it quickly.

Shutting the fuel off should be LAST resort, you want to be able to use the fuel to cool the combustion chamber.

Like mentioned, double check the carbs/ fuel system, and make sure you dont have any air leaks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ashelgren View Post
    All new gaskets everything torked to specs if it was a air leak ware would an air leak like that cause this to happen?

Back it in the water, start it on the trailer, so the engine has a load.

Use carb cleaner, or fogging oil etc.. and spray around the crank seal, base of carbs, around the reed cages etc...

If you have a significant air leak, you will notice a change in RPM's from the carb cleaner being sucked into the engine.

You won't be able to spray around the Mag crank seal though.

This is kind a of a quick way to diagnose a prominent leak, the best way to spot a leak is to do a leak down or pressure test as the guys have stated above

Wow this stuns me I never knew an air leak could get this out of hand thats crazy I charged the batt. for a good five hours and put some gasket sealer on the carbs and intake. I took it out today and it ran fine no problems thank god. I had an ideal though if I have it on the trailer like I did and it does it again you think it would work if i covered the air intake with my hand no air no spark just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information