+1

Toll House Cookies

Did you know that Toll House chocolate chip cookies were originally created in New England? It is true. Back in 1930, a couple named Kenneth and Ruth Wakefield purchased a Cape Cod-style toll house (see where we are headed) located halfway between Boston and New Bedford, on the outskirts of a town called Whitman, Massachusetts.

Originally constructed in 1709, the house served as a haven for road-weary travelers where passengers paid toll, changed horses, and ate much-welcomed home-cooked meals. It was also here, over 200 years later, that the Wakefield decided to open a lodge, calling it the Toll House Inn. In keeping with the tradition of creating delicious homemade meals, Ruth baked for guests who stayed at the Toll House Inn, and improved upon traditional Colonial recipes, creating quite a reputation all over New England.

One day, while preparing a batch of Butter Drop Do cookies, a favorite recipe dating back to Colonial days, Ms. Wakefield encountered a problem. The recipe called for the use of baker's chocolate and Ruth found herself without the needed ingredient. She substituted a semi-sweet chocolate bar cut up into bits. As it so happened the chocolate bar had been a gift from Andrew Nestle of the Nestle Chocolate Company. However, unlike the baker's chocolate, the chopped up chocolate bar did not melt completely. The small pieces only softened. The resulting creation became very popular at the Inn.

Soon, Ruth's recipe was published in a Boston newspaper, as well as other papers in the New England area and as a result sales of Nestlé's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar skyrocketed. Andrew Nestle and Ruth Wakefield struck a deal. Nestle would print the Toll House Cookie recipe on its packaging and Ruth Wakefield would have a lifetime supply of Nestle chocolate.

+1
    I know there's some secret meaning to this trivia? Or are you sitting in front of the boob tube watching ESPN, reading whats on a box of Tollhouse cookies.

+1
    Mark, you are a wealth of information my friend..

hmmmm, I know I should feel smarter for reading that but I'm not sure I do???

+1
    Just a little drunk from the cough medicine last night. Freakin flu has me all messed up.

Cookies sounds good right now.

Thread Information