Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

several new issues with my 98 xpl

ok guys, thanks for all your help up to this point, but i'm afraid i have to ask for more.

first, i am fouling plugs very quickly (in like 30 mins or less) causing the ski to barely run at all. i am running the oil injection on this ski. i would like to switch over to premix (i have heard that the injectors can cause lots of trouble, plus it would ease my mind alittle that i know oil is getting to the motor) but i cant afford the block off kit right now. so my question is, do the oil injectors normally foul plugs quick? do they need some sort of adjust or somthing? could it be the oil i am using?(pennzoil tcw 3 i think)

second, its only turning 58 maybe 5900 rpms. now this was with brand new plugs, as they became fouled it would start to drop off (like 5000 at WOT after like 15 mins of riding). from what i have read is that 951's should turn close to 7000 stock. i cleaned the raves the night before which were just horrible. they were locked up so bad that it took 4-5 hard wacks on the trailor to get the slide out. so i cleaned them up and they seemed to slide nice and easy so i assume they are working properly but not really sure. what could cause this low of rpms?

third, my steering is hard to turn. its not impossible to turn the barrs but its not loose and easy like all the other skis i have riden. they are just stiff. i thought that it would loosen up the more i rode it in the water but it hasn't improved at all. i think it just needs alittle lube but i dont know where it needs it. so what should i check for to loosen it up some?

and last but not least, i need a new throttle cable. mine has become stiff from rust and is starting to break at the carbs. where can i buy a new cable and how much do they run?

thanks
    Last edited by mibunkerking; 08-31-2008 at 08:46 PM.

That's dangerous and you should not be riding it..... Rusty throttle cable and stiff steering cable.....

New steering cable, new throttle cable and check your oil pump alignment marks as it's probably wide open....
    Last edited by diver2694; 09-01-2008 at 05:46 AM.

+1
    oh I think I am done riding for alittle bit. I am on a zero dollar budget till next payday.

+1
    i alined the the oil pump so hopefully it will slow down on fouling the plugs.

any thoughts on my low rpm problem?

Block-offs are only $10...the best $10 you will ever spend on your ski. You can probably get a free throttle cable on this site and just pay shipping. You can free up your steering for free with a little time. The best way to do this is by completely removing the cable from the ski. It's not too hard to do but is a little time consuming if you've never done it. Once removed, you should stand on a ladder or back of a truck to get the cable straight up and down. Spray lube into the cable and work it back and forth until it runs out of the cable on the bottom. I just did this to my '97 and it works great now.

Low rpm's...may need to remove carbs to clean and readjust all screws and settings to factory specs.

+1
    lol
    free is always good. where do i sign?

thanks for the tip on the steering cable. i will try that out tomorrow.

for some reason i was thinking the block off kits were like $50 or something. dont know where i got that from.

i have already cleaned the carbs but that doesn't mean they dont need it again. what screws are you talking about? i am not familiar with carb settings.

thanks for your help

Make sure your high and low speed screws are set to factory specs. My Seadoo book reads that the slow speeds should be 1.25 turns out +/- .25. High speed should be closed on the front carb and 1/4 turn out on the rear.

+1
    ok, cleaned the carbs set the hi/lo screws. it runs great on the trailor but is hard to start in the water and dies instantly when given any more than 1/4 throttle. will also only run for maybe 10 secs in the water and then dies.

my best guess is that i set the hi/lo screws wrong. this is how i set them. lo's- tightened them all the way down and then backed them out 2 turns (as stated in the shop manual).

for hi's, i assumed that "closed" was tighting(clockwise) and open was looseing(counter-clockwise). so i tightened the front screw and opened the rear.

now, unless the shop manual is wrong again (like in the cooling section), it should be set correctly, right? if i did it wrong, what is the correct proceedure to set these screws?

+1
    anyone have any input?

everything i have tried either hasn't helped or made things worse.

i am to the point of about to take it to the dealer and have them fix it.

+1
    both highs should be closed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information