2002 Seadoo RXDI dies

My brother in law just bought a 2002 Seadoo RXDI with 29 hours on the clock. It starts fine and idles great. When I accelerate it has great power for about 5-10 seconds. Then a beep sound and it goes completely dead. The digital dash even goes off. Then I have to wait about a minute and it starts up. I set the display on temp and tried it. Its not getting hot. The temp is at 70 when it dies. It has fuel injection and I was wondering if it is like a car. Will the computer store trouble codes? It almost seems like the computer is shutting it down. I hope we can figure this out. It is his first PWC. He rode my yamaha GP1200 and loved it. It was a hard decision to buy the ski. It ran fine when he tested it.. Any help would be great.

Budman

earth cables

i would check the small earth cables that go from the engine to the Mpem, i think they are at the front of engine just in front of the air box on this model(under exhaust expansion pipe), have seen them corrode sightly at this point but once the cable is cut open the copper is black with corrosion and only carries current for a short time or intermetantly.

Thanks I will check it out. I think he is going to have the seadoo dealer plug it in to there computer. He wants to get it fixed fast so he can (try) to beat me on my Yamaha GP1200. Ya right.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Budman

Well my brother in law forked over $1700.00 to the seadoo dealer for a complete engine overhaul. And guess what? It ran for about two minutes and died. Anyone else have this problem on an RX-DI? The mechanic at High Mountain Recreation in Billings Montana doesn't know much about anything.

Thanks,
    Budman

Holy Cow, sorry to hear this. not many dealers know the DI set up`s well, unfortunately...

I had an 02 rxdi and @ 56 hours it sh-t the bed, not motor, electronic issue!!!

why did this ski need an engine?

usually the problems associated with the DI`s are electrical, they are very very technical/comprehensive super sophisticated ski. sensors out the yang...

If I would have know firsthand, I would have opted for the carb`d model...

tell us what happened...

Thanks for the reply. I think it is electronics also. It runs great and then dies suddenly. No spit and sputter just dead. And the dash goes out. Do you know if the dealers can get any tech support from seadoo. The mechanic doesn't know what to doo. I don't know why they rebuilt the engine. Maybe they saw some easy dollars. I would have done a compression test before any rebuild. Also I would have checked it out as they were rebulding it. The dealer had the ski for a month.

Budman

tyr this it's a 2 man job maybee unless you have aligator clips on your multi meter.
    check the voltage at the battery as you raise the revs and see how high it goes, if its over 15 you could have a faulty regulator

+1
    Dude that sucks! These DI's are crazy with electrical problems. I have one I rebuilt the motor on and it is doing crazy stuff. Do you get any beeps when you plug the lanyard back in? Does it re-start or is it dead.

Thread Information