Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wrong fuel pump check valves?

When I was rebuilding my carbs recently, I picked up three genuine mikuni 38/44 carb rebuild kits (thanks again roost). I mistakenly thought that I would have the parts to rebuild my fuel pump in these kits.

Side topic: I have one fuel pump and three carbs on my setup - everything stock.

When I took the fuel pump apart I realized that the only parts I could replace would be the check valves (the clear circle check valves held in place by rubber pegs). It was TOUGH to get the pegs in the holes, I ended up using a small screw driver to put through the back side of the peg (the flat side) and push the head through.

Long story short is that my sled died on me this weekend. It wasn't getting any fuel so I popped open the fuel pump to find the rubber pegs broken and the plastic circles floating around. Do I have the wrong parts or did I damage them when I installed them?

Thanks as usual for the help!

you messed up the plugs! common error ! lube the orifice first! and use a non sharp object like a ball tipped Allen wrench . and you can almost always ( in a pinch , use them again! )

+1
    2mm ball end hex wrench and some spit works everytime

Awesome - I originally had 6 check valves and 6 plugs, so I've got two more shots to get it right (although I sincerely hope it doesn't take that long).

This time I'll lube it up (grease? or is spit really going to be enough?) and try to be more delicate.

Thanks for the tips.

+1
    I am bad I know. Don't use grease use windex it lubricates for install then evaporates. be patient push and turn at the same time with the allen wrench.

I have a fuel pump with about ten hours on it that I will sell ya. I bought it from Big Raider and I don't need it anymore. It is in great shape. pm me if interested.

That's it, I'm selling my wrenches.

I tried (very, very, unsuccessfully) to get those pegs in place last night. I could only find 3 of them, and I damaged all 3 of them trying to get them in. I tried windex, I tried alcohol, I tried spit, and I couldn't get any of them to work.

Anybody got some leftover parts from your carb rebuild kits I can try or should I just order a fuel pump rebuild kit from the store?

i have some how many you want? or send me your pump ill put them in for ya
    just pay shipping

Vomit - thanks for the offer - I might just take you up on that if the offer is still good.

The deal with Roost fell through (kind-of, he just can't figure out what he did with the fuel pump, so I'm exploring other avenues so I can get this thing running again), so I posted a WTB in the classifieds.

If anybody has a complete pump they don't need anymore let me know over there. Otherwise I'll probably take vomitspot up on his offer.

Classifieds Thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...734#post799734

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vomitspot View Post
    i have some how many you want? or send me your pump ill put them in for ya
    just pay shipping
    How cool is that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information