Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

strange weekend:boost is down, speed is up

This isnt really a question, i'm just sharing my experience this weekend.

Since I put in the c-5 sc wheel I've been seeing and fairly solid 11.1psi @ 8100rpm, and have been getting a consistant 77.8-78 mph with a max I ever saw was 78.4mph. Yesterday I went out and my performance was all around bad. Speed was down, boost was down, and it just felt strange. I was able to get 8060rpm, but only 10.2psi and 72 mph . On my way back in I could hear some knocking and that had me worried. When I pulled it out of the water I found my riva grate hanging on by 1 bolt. Well there was my problem. The inserts are all solid, the bolt holes on the grate were gone, I've read about it so I wasnt surprized. I put my stock grate back on, and I checked for boost leaks with the air compressor just to make sure, and found none so I was thinking I'm good. Went out today with the stock grate and my boost was still low, but I was hitting the rev limiter and pulled 79.2 mph with 3/4 tank of gas. If I were to tweek my prop some more I could see 80.
    So now I have some things for me to figure out. I don't know why my boost is low when I find no leaks, and I don't know why my riva grate was scrubing so much speed and rpm. Good news is that I'm going fast, and I just thought I would share.

+1
    Fast is good

wow weird but at least your speed is up

+1
    i had the same thing happen a while ago. soon as you look at your grate you think "f*!#$%k....... that was close" glad you sore it before it went

+1
    Interesting ... as speeds go up the pump gets more water and more pressure. This post makes me wonder if on skis going around 80mph or more, if the Riva grate lets in more water than the stocker, and then the stock grate is actually faster? How was the handling with the stock grate?

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Interesting ... as speeds go up the pump gets more water and more pressure. This post makes me wonder if on skis going around 80mph or more, if the Riva grate lets in more water than the stocker, and then the stock grate is actually faster? How was the handling with the stock grate?
    I didnt feel any difference in handling with the stock grate vs the riva. I didnt have any problems with comming unhooked in the light chop and had no bounce at full speed in the smooth water, I could superman easy. In the heavier chop it's too hard to tell if one worked better than the other.
    The only thing I noticed, and this is only by the butt dyno feel of it, was that my midrange didnt seem as strong as with the riva grate. No real proof of that, and it could also be the fact that my boost is still about 1 psi lower than before.

+1
    I don't recall anyone doing Riva vs stock grate testing back to back on a ski going close to 80 mph ... sounds like it might be an interesting experiment.

Off topic, how do you like the C5? I have a kit, but have not installed it, been running my X charger and was debating about selling the C5 kit possibly ... was curious if you have run other SCs and how it compared?

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    I don't recall anyone doing Riva vs stock grate testing back to back on a ski going close to 80 mph ... sounds like it might be an interesting experiment.

Off topic, how do you like the C5? I have a kit, but have not installed it, been running my X charger and was debating about selling the C5 kit possibly ... was curious if you have run other SCs and how it compared?
    I think JD1 would be the guy to ask on this. He said something a while ago about the R&D grate being faster on his 90+ RXPs than the RIVA grate(the non X skis) I did hear anything about the stock grate though.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dv8rxp View Post
    This isnt really a question, i'm just sharing my experience this weekend.

Since I put in the c-5 sc wheel I've been seeing and fairly solid 11.1psi @ 8100rpm, and have been getting a consistant 77.8-78 mph with a max I ever saw was 78.4mph. Yesterday I went out and my performance was all around bad. Speed was down, boost was down, and it just felt strange. I was able to get 8060rpm, but only 10.2psi and 72 mph . On my way back in I could hear some knocking and that had me worried. When I pulled it out of the water I found my riva grate hanging on by 1 bolt. Well there was my problem. The inserts are all solid, the bolt holes on the grate were gone, I've read about it so I wasnt surprized. I put my stock grate back on, and I checked for boost leaks with the air compressor just to make sure, and found none so I was thinking I'm good. Went out today with the stock grate and my boost was still low, but I was hitting the rev limiter and pulled 79.2 mph with 3/4 tank of gas. If I were to tweek my prop some more I could see 80.
    So now I have some things for me to figure out. I don't know why my boost is low when I find no leaks, and I don't know why my riva grate was scrubing so much speed and rpm. Good news is that I'm going fast, and I just thought I would share.
    You using C5 R-D wheel

So far I like the c5 for the price, if I had more money to play with I would have went with the x charger or a rude. The only other SCs I have personally used are the orriginal riva/vortec and the rr high boost sc from race tech. The hole shot and midrange with the c5 is awsome and near 80mph with more tweeking left to do, I'm sure I'll get over 80 with the stock ecu. I run the stock nozzle with the bailer tubes removed and filled, 15/22r prop pitched out to 15/23 so far, and the AAT cone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information