Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PWC motor oil.

PWC motor oil.

I'd like to start off by saying hi to everyone as I'm obviously new both to this site and to PWC. There has been an old 650 waverunner and two Doo's but this is the first PWC that I have owned myself. At my 10 hr mark, I used regular automotive motor oil as I was told this would be fine by a friend who rides PWC. But I'm starting to wonder, should I switch over to Yamalube Marine oil? Also, will I see any benefit as to engine life by switching over to synthetic? Thanks.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Hello. Welcome to Greenhulk.

I personally, and many others use Synthetic oil and in particular Amsoil in our skis. Many 2 stroke people.

Yamalube is known to gunk up the engine, and in particular the powervalves in the GPR's.

Synthetic oil makes the engine burn better, cleaner, and in the long run is a lot nicer to the engine.

There are two options really from Amsoil for the 2-stroke. Dominator and Interceptor. Both are Awesome! I personally run Dominator because it is red, and I can see when it has been mixed into gas. I also run Dominator because it was the first synthetic that was run in my ski.. and you usually stay with one oil and not really switch around.

If you are looking to get some Amsoil or further information about Amsoil you can PM me about pricing, orders, or as said other questions.

Thank you.

hallpass

Thanks for the welcome and the help. Sorry but I think I may have been a bit misleading with the whole yami 650 thing. I'm actually talking 4 stroke(SHO). I wouldn't mind the extra cost of synthetic as I'm not exactly running a cheap ski here. However, I have heard that it's not good to switch from regular to synthetic. Is this true?

+1
    welcome to the forum creepa

Its ok to switch from regualr to synthetic but not from synthetic to regular and back and forth. In the long run it will hurt it.

Thanks man, seems like there are some pretty cool people here. Unlike the MMA forum that I have used for about 8 years untill every post you made generated a smartass response from some net warrior. Guess that's what happens when a sport blows up in record time and you have every kid in the world joining. Well that's my rant for today.

Quote Originally Posted by HYNES View Post
    Its ok to switch from regualr to synthetic but not from synthetic to regular and back and forth. In the long run it will hurt it.
    What are the benefits of synthetic, as while I was racing MX, not many people used synthetic and I never had any probs with regular. However, as this engine is not exactly cheap, I have no problem paying the extra cash for synthetic. Also, what makes synthetic better, and what causes the problems of switching between the two? I now these are a lot of questions but I won't keep killing you guys with them after I know what I need to know. Oh, and your avatar is pretty damn funny.

Your engine parts will wear less with synthetics as it holds up better to heat and friction. So you should get longer engine life with a good quality synthetic. As far as switching back and forth, I don't believe it's a problem as they even make semi-synthetic blends of oil.

Thanks, looks like i'll be switching over to synthetic.

Also, is "couch hatred" as common on this site as it is on PWCtoday?

For example:
    Re: No wonder everyone hates PWC riders
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dburgoon6
    your on the rong forum saying you hate people on PWC's.
    and do you got something against pitbulls?

hes on the right forum to bytch about the idiots that ride tham, IMHO.

WAY too many morons on couches these days. i have no problem with admitting it.

do you have a problem with accepting it?

oh yeah.... pittbull owners are usually just as big a jackasses as the typical weekend warrior coucher.

Oh, and then the ritual: "man up and get a superjet". That half of the stand up riders insist on replying to "couch" related threads.

+1
    it is usualy beter to get some hours up before changing to synthetic oil
    i have been using synthetic car oil in my ski 2004fxho for 260 hours so far with no probs
    it does use some oil on long wot runs, but i would expect any engine to use oil if siting on 10,000 revs for an hour

kev

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information