Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with major Ultra 150 issue

I bought a 1999 Ultra 150 this summer and I have a feeling it has had a pretty hard life. The ski ran fine until this weekend. It currently has about 110 hours on it and it is completely stock.

I notice that the ski seemed a bit louder while riding it but i wasn't sure. It was making sort of a roaring sound kind of similar to the sound of ski with a pipe. Toward the end of the day it just quit it still seems to start and idle fine but it will not accelerate. It will only go about 5 mph wide open. I pulled the plugs and the all look fine and none of the cylinders felt hot. I also started it with the seat off and the engine does not appear to be knocking. I figure it either has major engine failure or pump failure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ken

Check to see of you sucked anything up in the impeller

Check for any impeller or pump damage

Do a compression test

The louder part sounds like you may have burned one of the rubber exhaust hoses or it slipped off. If it burned then you have a clog in the water passages in the stinger.

I would pull the pump and check it just for gp. Ultras are known for pump seal failures, if you pull the cone off th rear of the pump it should be dry inside. If you find water its time for a rebuild.

Welcome to the Green Hulk!!!

your pump is shot. take it off and take the cone off the pump and parts of your bearings will fall out.

I will check the cone to see if there is water in there. I really do not think it is a lose exhaust coupler or hose because I ran the ski with the seat off looking for that. It is really hard to describe the sound though. Will a trashed pump cause the ski not to rev up and bog the motor down? There is no debre in the pump or impellar. If the pump is trashed what do the parts cost to fix it? Thanks for all the help thus far.

Yes bad pump bearings can cause it to bog down. I would recomend to send it to skiworx if it is bad. Steve has some better seals he uses and will make sure the pump is set up corectly. Or if you are on the left coast dave at impros is a good guy to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Yes bad pump bearings can cause it to bog down. I would recomend to send it to skiworx if it is bad. Steve has some better seals he uses and will make sure the pump is set up corectly. Or if you are on the left coast dave at impros is a good guy to deal with.
    I live in VA. Where is skiworx located? I have a feeling that the pump may have been costing me some top speed before the ski died because I doubt it was running much more that 63. Do you think it would be worthwhile to rebuild the top end over the winter with around 110 hours on the clock? Can the cylinders be bored? I would like to do a few mods to the ski but I want the best bang for the buck. I would like to hit 70 but I am not sure if that is within reach with minor mods.

Thanks again for all the help thus far.

They are in glen burnie marilynd http://www.skiworx.com/

Compression tells more about the condition of the topend than hours. Ultra cylinders are plated so they cant be bored but they can be replated if needed. I would take a look at the 1.5 kit if you are thinking about a rebuild anyway. That with a few mods and a good setup on the hull should get you over 70. If you take a look at the 2 threads in my sig that will give you alot of info on how to break 70 with a single pipe. Now im running tripples and can hit 73 -74 with a full tank of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    They are in glen burnie marilynd http://www.skiworx.com/

Compression tells more about the condition of the topend than hours. Ultra cylinders are plated so they cant be bored but they can be replated if needed. I would take a look at the 1.5 kit if you are thinking about a rebuild anyway. That with a few mods and a good setup on the hull should get you over 70. If you take a look at the 2 threads in my sig that will give you alot of info on how to break 70 with a single pipe. Now im running tripples and can hit 73 -74 with a full tank of gas.

What type of compression am I looking for to know the engine is in good shape? Also what is an acceptable difference between cylinders? How much does it cost to have them replated and is it common to have this done?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information